ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: brittle mags

5/31/2006 9:28 AM
moocow Re: brittle mags
The arbor press is definitely the professional way to install magnets. Magnets don't like to be exposed to shock and neither do brittle materials, so hitting an Alnico magnet really is not a good idea. A small press is also great for removing/installing steel slugs in plastic pickup bobbins, so humbucker makers can make good use of one.

5/31/2006 11:53 AM
Spence
email

Get an arbor press then. Don't listen to me. What the hell would I know,not being a professional and all that blah, blah, blah....

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/31/2006 4:42 PM
Mick
I have a feeling that these would have gone no matter what ,I'm just thinking of the possibilities if these had been used for the 2 outside mags and had let go at winding speed ,perhaps its just as well they broke when they did , Spence , have a bhagee , only a true professional would eat these ,  
Mick

5/31/2006 5:48 PM
SK
I use a plastic hammer also. Pressing them in one at a time sucks....Now, a press with a jig to push all six at once is the way to go...  
Anyways, I've never had one crumble...I have had one fracture, but that was a bit different situation.

6/1/2006 6:18 PM
Zhangliqun
email

I just use the butt end of a screwdriver. Plenty soft, never had a mag break on me.

6/7/2006 6:53 AM
Mick
Well I splashed out and bought a plastic faced hammer ,It works for me ,does this make me unprofessional? , thanks guys,  
Mick

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2