ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Ok What the hell is up with this pickup?

5/27/2006 8:42 PM
Dave Stephens Re: Ok What the hell is up with this pickup?
stratitis is the magnets pulling on the strings it has nothing to do with the winds on the coil, forgot to add that......

5/29/2006 7:24 PM
GTarman
Hi Dave, yeah I knew that but what i'm saying is it has never happened before like that. The only thing i did different was hook up the bridge to the neck spot on the switch and visa versa on the neck. I did play around with it some and what I found was, yes the pickups were too high, I got a lot of it out by lowering them but I also noticed on the tighter winds it is more pronounced, if I back off the tension just slightly it is less bad. Now i have to refigure all my winds, LOL......

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/29/2006 7:53 PM
Dave Stephens
why don't you try degaussing the magnets some, do you have a magnet to magnetize the magnets?

5/29/2006 8:37 PM
GTarman
Hi Dave, I'm playing night owl like you :). No I am thinking about getting one of those or 2 of those 1 inch earth mags from stew mac to play with but the problem i think is there is not much control with it. It would be fun to tinker with though.

5/30/2006 3:54 PM
SK
"startitis"? I'm going to suggest it's not. Stratitus isn't THAT affected by amplification, but feedback is. I would guess from what you have said ("it's every stinkin one I have wound") that there is a loose connection or some such vibrating. Occasionally a loose ground wire (on pickups using grounded frames/baseplates) a loose ground can cause vibrational feedback. Sometimes a wire can do the same (like a metal braided routed so it's vibrating against a frame/bp) and even sometimes a wire/ broken solder joint in the controls.

5/30/2006 4:07 PM
GTarman
Hi Sk, thanks I will double check these things. By the way, are you taking any orders for parts? Thank you.

5/30/2006 6:33 PM
Dave Stephens
yeah, stratitis is just string warble from magnet pull, you lower the pickups and it goes completely away, sounds like you're getting something else......

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>