ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Using Wood Glue to Pot Pickups?

5/28/2006 10:36 AM
Steve Dallman
email
Re: Using Wood Glue to Pot Pickups?
My pot is a small, cheap coffee percolator. It has a temp control and that stays on the lowest setting. Plugged into my Variac set at 55vac and it stays at 150 degrees. I used to work at a dairy manufacturing plant, and when it closed, got a couple very good thermometers, so monitoring the temp is accurate. I've done countless pickups and not a deformed bobbin yet.

5/30/2006 7:36 AM
David Schwab
email

On 5/23/2006 11:34 PM, Paul D. said:  

quote:
"Correct, DiMarzio didn't pot the Model P - which is why I had to do it!"

But my point was they don't need it! I used DiM P's for years on stage at high volume, and I used to like to stand up against the amp and get feedback (I had a wammy bar on my fretless PJ type bass) and I never got any squealing.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/3/2006 12:53 AM
Paul D.
email

I can't help myself - I gotta "over-engineer" everything I touch!  
-Paul D.

6/5/2006 11:03 AM
David Schwab
email

On 6/3/2006 6:53 AM, Paul D. said:  
quote:
"I can't help myself - I gotta "over-engineer" everything I touch!"

Careful with that! You might engineer all your tone away!  

I over-built some basses, and it took them a while to start to loosen up and sound as good as some of the lighter basses.

6/8/2006 9:30 PM
Ken
I have the same problem...  

my buddy says, 'Sometimes in order to release the product you have to shoot the engineer'. I think he  
was saying that if you make things too perfect you lose the thing that could make your project great. Did you ever make a mistake while doing something, and have your work turn out better than you had hoped?  

Ken

6/9/2006 9:13 AM
David Schwab
email

On 6/9/2006 3:30 AM, Ken said:  

quote:
"Did you ever make a mistake while doing something, and have your work turn out better than you had hoped?"

Yes! I think that's how many inventions happen!  

Back about 12 years ago I started designing a bass. I spent many months on the body shape, which kept morphing, until it was totally different than what I started with. Once I froze that shape, I worked out how I was going to build the bass in detail. Only after I had it figured out from start to finish, did I begin the building process.  

Along the way, many things happened that made me pause and rethink what I was doing. Some where accidents, which I had to fix, and some where just ideas that would come to me and show me a new way to proceed.  

I always like to say that the bass helped me build it... something guided me through the process as I was doing it!  

With my latest bass pickup design, after the first design didn't work as well as I wanted, I just made arbitrary changes based on feelings I had. As I was making the pickup, things weren't coming out as I planed, so I kept following the muse as it were. In the end, its a great sounding pickup!  

I think as creative people, we need to keep open to the creative process, and not get in its way! Go with the flow... we can easily over-think something.

<<First Page<Prev Page 3 of 3