ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Using Wood Glue to Pot Pickups?

5/22/2006 5:50 PM
RobA Re: Using Wood Glue to Pot Pickups?
Rockler woodworking, or Rockler.com, sells the same pot for $15 cheaper.  

FWIW

5/22/2006 2:26 PM
David Schwab
email

DiMarzio didn't even pot the Model P... I know because I've unwound them in the past!

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/22/2006 7:18 PM
anonymous
Go to a rummage sale... ever hear of a 'therapeutic wax pot'? Walmart was selling this the last 2 Christmases, it's like a big electric crock pot for melting paraffin to soak your body parts (like arthritic hands) in. No lie. It's big enough to hold 3 or 4 pounds of paraffin, designed especially for wax melting, and the last one I saw at a rummage sale was $5.00. Now I'm kicking myself, I can't remember where I saw it. I'm keeping an eye open for another.  

Ken

5/22/2006 7:20 PM
Ken
The last post was mine, I don't know why my name didn't come up on it.  

Ken

5/22/2006 9:33 PM
Dave Stephens
Go to any Goodwill type store and buy an electric frying pan for five bucks, it has a temp regulator on it, get a dial oven thermometer with the probe like you stick in a turkey, G&L and Fender both use these, at least Fender did a long time ago....

5/23/2006 5:34 PM
Paul D.
email

Correct, DiMarzio didn't pot the Model P - which is why I had to do it!  
-Paul D.

5/25/2006 11:43 PM
Dave Stephens
You know most of the "squeal" from humbuckers if they're covered comes from the cover. You can just put a piece of felt or something over the slug side and put the cover back on and it will stop that. If its not covered and squeals, well yer jess playin' too dang loud :-)  

Footnote to the potting frying pan, don't ever leave any of these devices ON and go to the grocery store, turn them off. If the temp sensor on any of these things fail you could come home and have the fun of watching the fire department try to save your house, wax overheats it can explode and burns like crazy....

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>