ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

fender humbucker

5/20/2006 6:23 AM
GTarman fender humbucker
I picked up an old fender humbucker the other day at my local music store to tinker with. I installed it just to check the tone and the dam thing blew me away. It is probably the best sounding factory pickup out of any guitar I have ever heard. It ohms out at around 7.5K. It's amazing. Anyone here know what model it is or anything about it?

5/20/2006 10:34 AM
Steve Dallman
email

The old Fender humbuckers were designed by Seth Lover. The adjustable screw poles are the magnets, which had the threads bonded to the magnets. They are indeed great pickups. The newer look-a-likes aren't built the same way.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/20/2006 2:18 PM
GTarman
Hi Steve, it is actualy a regular humbucker with the slugs and pole pieces, very old looking, the chrome has worn off the slugs and the screws, it has a bar magnet although I dont know whether its alnico or ceramic, it's so covered in dust or whatever but it sounds wonderful. Very full but not muddy. Play an open E chord and its the best I have heard, including some original PAF's

5/21/2006 6:14 PM
Dave Stephens
if you can get your ohm meter probes to the magnet touch both of them to it, if you get a reading its alnico if no reading its ceramic

5/21/2006 7:26 PM
GTarman
Thanks Dave, it shows continuity although it is 0.00 it's not showing infinite or open. Guess it's alnico. So any ideas on this. I read the fender website it looks like the enforcer model according to the ohms reading. 7.6 whatever or close to it.

5/23/2006 11:48 AM
Spence
email

Yes, it could well be a standard Gibson sized humbucker made by or for Fender. It would have screw-side as South, be clockwize wound and have a ceramic bar magnet. The pigtails would be brown from inner of screwside to baseplate as earth, black to black for outers of coils and white from the slugside inner as hot. Each coil would read about 3.7 K Ohms.

5/23/2006 12:53 PM
David Schwab
email

I actually have three of these... one of my customers has me replace all his Fender pickups with Duncans... usually he's using dual rail single coils, but a few of his Strats had HB's. He gave me a box full of Fender pickups.  

One of these looks just like a Gibson, with the slugs and screws. I think it was about 7.5K. The other two have all slugs.. one is around 8 and the other is about 14K.  

I have no idea what they sound like...  

I just cut the wire off one of the slug HB's so I could rewind it.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>