ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

reverse engineering

5/19/2006 6:28 PM
Gtarman reverse engineering
Hi, Just a quick question to whomever will answer it. When reverse engineering a pickup I have all of it figured out for the most part, the one thing that stumps me is how to get an indication of how much tension was used, without a lot of high priced equipment. This is pretty easy if it is unpotted but when it is fully potted I cant tell.

5/19/2006 8:59 PM
Dave Stephens
GeetarMon: I don't know of any sane way to back engineer coil tension on a fully potted pickup. Just some ideas, you could hang it in a toaster over with a drip pan below it and heat it to under flame point, maybe 180 degrees, let it drip out, wipe it off and repeat until the wax is vaporized or mostly drips out. Probably while its still warm you could press on the coil with your thumb and see if the coil is mushy or firm as a rock. that might work, just don't start a fire. when I use a toaster oven for weird stuff like that I use one of those small thermometers, dial type, that u stick into meat, because the temperature settings on the ovens are inaccurate. Just sit it on the shelf in there and watch it through the glass.....

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/19/2006 9:37 PM
Ken
email

Or, you could heat up the pickup as above, then put the pickup in hot water so the wax floats out, and then try the 'squeeze test'.  

Ken

5/19/2006 9:52 PM
Dave Stephens
unless its a single coil, would wreck the forbon, bucker bobbin would probably warp if its old.....

5/19/2006 9:58 PM
Dave Stephens
what kind of pickup is this you're back engineering? wax usually melts about 150 degrees F just barely, plastic bobbins shouldn't be heated much over that, some old waxes have alot higher meltting point, need more info....

5/20/2006 7:47 AM
GTarman
Hi Dave, I'm working on rewinding the bridge on my 69 set of strat pickups, dead. I'm not getting the thumping punchy bottom end that it is known for. It sounds good but not as full as I would like it, any suggestions.

5/21/2006 12:09 PM
GTarman Nevermind I figured it out
:)

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>