ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Need new bobbin vendor

5/19/2006 10:43 AM
Zhangliqun
email
Need new bobbin vendor
My current one screwed up an order (gave me REVERSE zebras instead of zebras) and the contact guy has such a thick foreign answer that it's hard to communicate with him.  

Doesn't seem to be interested in making it right so I need to look elsewhere -- can anybody help? Would also like a vendor that makes the cream bobbins the right shade. None of this Stew Mac pink/tan thing...

5/19/2006 11:31 AM
David Schwab
email

Have you checked out http://www.tonerider.com ?  

Andrew sent a price list and picture of the parts he has. They look pretty good. I'm not sure about the shade of the cream bobbin though from looking at the picture.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/19/2006 11:41 AM
Zhangliqun
email

The cream shade is obviously crucial. Are Allparts cream bobbins decent looking?  

I also found a place on the net called Gurian Instruments and they make all kinds of bobbins. E-mailed them and am waiting to hear back.

5/19/2006 12:02 PM
Wolfe Macleod
Allparts is the best dang bobbins I've found. I've seen, wound, and rewound on bobbins from just about every company. I prefer Allparts, although I don't liek the factory polish.  
Allparts used to have the pink cream, but switched over to the better looking color awhile back.  

I know Gurian very well, since they're close to me. They don't make humbucker bobbins - only single coil.

5/19/2006 11:52 AM
Jon Gundry
email

The All Parts cream does not have a pink hue.

5/19/2006 12:01 PM
Andrew C
email

If you navigate www.tonerider.com to English>Humbuckers>High Output Series and look at the double cream Firepower pickup, that's a pretty accurate color match in the photo to the actual color.  

We mix the cream color to match a Gibson Historic Les Paul Custom Pickguard...

5/19/2006 12:56 PM
Wolfe Macleod
Andrew, I just noted that you have a statement on your site about the double cream.  
You're not in the US if I remember? The Dimarzio Trademark should not apply.  

I think your bobbins are probably the only one I haven't wound on. Still hoping to get some samples.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>