ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Dud rod magnets

5/18/2006 4:49 PM
Zhangliqun
email
Dud rod magnets
Anybody else run into this problem?  

Once in a while I get some Alnico 5 rod magnets that sound like pure mud, no matter how you wind the pickup. Just made myself a set this week that sounds like crap, after making one for a customer that turned out as everything I hoped it would be, and the wind patterns and specs were identical.  

I've taken such duds and recharged them and recharged them in case they got partially degaussed during shipping but nothing seems to bring them to life.  

I won't say the vendor these came from in case I'm doing the charging wrong (or otherwise screwing them up myself) to avoid unfairly giving them a bad name, but what gives? Has anyone else run into this and if so, how did you deal with it?

5/18/2006 5:33 PM
Wolfe Macleod
I've never gotten any like that, but when you do..compare the weight of the magnet with one that sound great. CHances are, the crappy sounding magnets weight less.  

Email me the name of the vendor, please.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/18/2006 5:37 PM
Zhangliqun
email

How do I e-mail you?

5/18/2006 5:57 PM
Greg Simon
You can get it from his site.  

www.wolfetone.com  

Greg

5/18/2006 6:08 PM
Zhangliqun
email

Thanks, Greg. Wolfe-meister, you've got mail...

5/18/2006 6:27 PM
Dave Stephens
yeah email me too please stephensdesign@opendoor.com  
Dave

5/18/2006 6:34 PM
Zhangliqun
email

I'm limiting it to Wolfe right now because I've been using these guys for a while and never got any bad magnets from them before until the last shipment or two. Don't want to hurt them over an isolated incident.  

But if I get any more duds from them, I'll broadcast it far and wide.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>