ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Wire Gauges pt. II -- the odd gauges

5/17/2006 3:45 PM
Zhangliqun
email
Wire Gauges pt. II -- the odd gauges
Anybody tried out some of those 'tweener gauges and/or thicker gauges?  

I'm looking at getting some #42.5 for those pickup designs where you can't get enough turns of #42 on the bobbin to meet spec but #43 would make too small a coil.  

Also looking at #41 and #41.5 for some mismatched bucker designs to keep the weaker coil wide enough to pick up decent lows and mids.

5/17/2006 4:16 PM
Spence
email

You should perhaps ask your wire supplier to be honest about gauge tolerances before spending any money on half sizes. For example, 42AWG should be 0.063mm. Measure some and see if it is exactly 0.063mm in diameter. I bet it will not be.

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/17/2006 5:38 PM
Zhangliqun
email

How tight does the tolerance have to be, e.g., if it's .062 or .064, is that a disaster?  

And is this figure bare or with single build?

5/17/2006 7:32 PM
Dave Stephens
You must be talking MWS wire here. Their 42 gauge wire is on the lean side. 42 is usually .0027, MWS 42 is more like .00265, splitting hairs yeah but it makes a noticeable difference. Coils in my recipes that used to be 7K I now have to wind to 7.2K to hit the same specs on my LCR meter, I don't like that. If you talk to those guys ask them if you can specify a measurement instead of quoting wire gauges since theirs aren't what others make or historically were made....

5/26/2006 12:57 PM
swt
email

Another option would be to contact a metric manufacturer, as in south america. I live in argentina, and buy my wires from brazil. You know 42 is .063 and 43 is .056...but all i can get here is .06, .05 and .07, contact me by mail, maybe i have some info you'll need. THe only drawback, is that it's solderable one...the one that has the isolation ready to solder and melts with too much heat.

Page 1 of 1