ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: #42 vs. #43 -- e.g., number of turns vs. DCR

5/18/2006 9:58 AM
David Schwab
email
Re: #42 vs. #43 -- e.g., number of turns vs. DCR
My mother, who was born in 1913, was a factory worker making sequins up until the shop closed in the 70's. The only jobs she ever had, were working as a hat check girl, a sales person, and making sequins. These were all unskilled labor jobs... she was a jazz singer! These jobs were her "day gig."  

The reason so many factories used women was often that was the only kind of work women could get back in those days. Women didn't get degrees and stuff back then as much, so factory work, that didn't require heavy lifting and dangerous machinery were handled by women. Plus they paid women less than men... it was probably minimum wage. Cheap labor.  

I don't think it had anything to do with knowing how to thread a bobbin. I even heard Gibson hired women that knew how to wind yarn, and I think that's nonsense also. So you have a lot of factories using older women, because they have done that kind of factory work for many years.  

Sewing and winding pickups are not the same... I know because I've done both! No one walked into Fender and Gibson and was put on a winding machine without being trained, and showed *exactly* what was wanted of them. The fact that the coil counts vary widely shows they were not all that skilled at it! At Fender they wound to a number on the counter and stopped at that point... only some didn't, and wound a little more... probably gabbing with the winder at the next table!  

Then came the automatic winding machines, which just had to be loaded, and baby sat. They got more consistent results, wound more coils per hour, and had to pay less winders.  

I worked at ITT back in the late 70's, and they used older women to assemble prototype circuit boards. These women had no formal training in electronics, but had done factory work all their lives. They were trained to do the job, just as any person is trained on a new job, and they repeated what they learned after that point. If they were going for another job somewhere, they might look for the same type of work, since it was part of their "skill set."

<<First Page<Prev Page 3 of 3