ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

hum in stewmac pickups

5/16/2006 6:40 PM
mike
email
hum in stewmac pickups
I bought and installed the stewmac prewired strat. sounds good except it hums on 1,3,5 not 2 and 4. any suggestions?  
thanks  
mike

5/16/2006 6:37 PM
Steve Dallman
email

You have 3 single coil pickups. The middle one is reverse wound, which causes 2 and 4 to be humbucking. 1,3, and 5 are demonstrating typical single coil hum. You could heavily shield everything and rewire to avoid ground loops (sites like "Guitar Nutz" will show how) but you'll never get rid of it all unless you go to some sort of single coil sized humbuckers.  

The cheapest route is to buy three EMG Select pickups from Stew Mac. While not the most sparkling, toneful pickups in the world, they do a nice job. If you want to spend some more money, you could try any of the Duncan or Dimarzio noiseless offerings. If money isn't an object, go with Kinmans. The new samarium cobalt Fender Noiseless pickups aren't bad.  

Single coil pickups are hum antennas. I quit using them in the 70's and won't go back. Many put up with the hum to get that particular tone.  

Single coil pickups will pick up hum and noise from florescent lights, light dimmers, compressors (as are in refrigerators, coolers, air conditioners, etc) TV's, Computer monitors, neon lights, and on and on.  

Were you not aware that single coil pickups would hum as they do?

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/16/2006 7:12 PM
mike
email

thanks steve,no I wasn't. I have a old electra and it has double humbuckers and my others are acoustic. I put these into a guitar I built from scratch and it does sound really good on 2 and 4 after I leveled the frets and brought the strings down a little. I have been playing 20 years and never give the strat hum a thought. I will try and shield it better and check the site. If it's not too hard I may rewire it. I am dabbling in the relm of stompbox construction also.  
thanks again,  
mike

5/17/2006 5:10 PM
Zhangliqun
email

He's right -- your Stew Macs are performing as they should. #2 and #4 no hum, #1, #3 and #5 with hum. Nothing to be worried about.

Page 1 of 1