ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Tele rhythm -- what gauge wire?

5/10/2006 6:10 PM
jason lollar
email
Re: Tele rhythm -- what gauge wire?
max I can get on one with 42 while also being able to put a cover on it is 9,000 which depending on if your wire is running thicker or thinner is about 6K.  
9,000 turns is plenty for that design IMO.  
Typically they are 43 gauge.

5/10/2006 7:39 PM
Greg Simon
ok, so I was overly optimistic with 42. What do you expect for a hack! :)  

Greg

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/17/2006 12:53 AM
Hummer
Jason,  

That is an incredible amount of wire on a Tele Neck. I can't get 9000 turns of 42 on a strat bobbin most of the time, let alone a skinny tele neck?  

Hummer

5/17/2006 9:39 AM
jasin lollar
email

Its true but just because I can do it doesnt mean everyone can. It is at the limit that I can put on there and its very hard to consistantly get that much on. You have to try hard to get 9000 turns of 42 on there.  
Its all about tension and keeping your winding uniform- 9000 I dont reccomend it for tone but it is possible.

5/17/2006 12:35 PM
Zhangliqun
email

While we're at it...  

At say, room temperature, how many ohms per 1,000 turns of #42 wire to you get on:  

1) Tele rhythm bobbin  
2) Strat bobbin  
3) One (1) humbucker bobbin  

I understand that the outer turns are going to be longer and therefore will have more resistance per turn than the inner turns, but I'm just looking for averages/ballpark figures so I can make such translations/conversions in my head.

5/17/2006 3:10 PM
David Schwab
email

I can tell you that on the bass pickups I was winding, 1000 tuns was about 800 ohms. That was on a bobbin roughly the size of a jazz bass, but a little shallower.

5/17/2006 4:24 PM
jasin lollar
email

Thats going to vary depending on the pole spacing and the height of the coil and its not a linear equasion that you can use and it varies with tension and the spool of wire.  
for instance some guys use electrosola wire which they run to the thinner side of allowable tolerance, I use some wire made in israel that runs thicker so results are totally different.  
Best thing is to make a chart and test it over and over and get an average.

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 4 Next> Last Page>>