ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

New forum software

5/9/2006 8:00 PM
anonymous
email
New forum software
Motivated in part by discussions that have appeared in this forum, I recently purchased a license to use vBulletin, one of the leading commercial software packages for discussion forums (this is the same software you may have seen in use at Harmony Central, but it's the very latest version with many more features).  

I've been installing and configuring it on a new site over the last week or so, and I believe it's about ready to start serving the needs of this group.  

The main entry page is here:  

http://music-electronics-forum.com/  

And here's a direct link to the Pickup Makers forum:  

http://music-electronics-forum.com/forumdisplay.html?f=11  

Please give it a try and post any thoughts you might have.  

-tb  

5/9/2006 8:25 PM
MK
email

Hi tb,  

I've used vBulletin before and it's a significant improvement over this forum. Great work. What will happen to this forum and the archives? Come to think of it, what happened to the archives of the forum before this one (when SK was looking after it)?  

Regards,  

Michael

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/9/2006 9:51 PM
Ken
email

MK is right...  

I am also a moderator of a special interest group of my own, and in my email post archives are many irreplaceable idea/info threads. Is there any way not only to preserve the threads already current in this site, but past and future threads, say in a library format?  

The new site rocks!  

Ken

5/9/2006 10:09 PM
MK
email

Yep, I was thinking data migration (eg. flat file, or from one db to another to account for users and other missing data or unecessary data to and from the old and new db's), which may take some work depending on db design but it's definately doable.  

Regards,  

Michael

5/10/2006 1:20 AM
anonymous
email

quote:
"What will happen to this forum and the archives?"
This forum, and all the other AMPAGE forums, will remain here and active so ongoing threads can be finished up while we make the transition over to the new discussion site.  

Soon I'll make a "sticky" announcement at the top of each forum directing people to the new site and discouraging starting new threads here. Then after a while I'll disable posting here. After that I might start hacking this software into something that can serve up the archives.  

quote:
"what happened to the archives of the forum before this one (when SK was looking after it)?"
I wish I knew! If anyone had the forsight to grab an archive of the original forum before it went down I'd really like to hear about it.  

-tb

5/10/2006 3:12 AM
Lukas
email

how is vBulletin different from phpBB?

5/10/2006 7:46 AM
David Schwab
email

On 5/10/2006 2:25 AM, MK said:  
quote:
"Come to think of it, what happened to the archives of the forum before this one (when SK was looking after it)?"

Is it this one? There's still a forum linked to SK's page, and in fact there are active discussions.  

Not sure about archives though!  

http://www.ampge.com/forum/

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>