ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Pickup Potting question?????

3/25/2006 7:09 AM
Lukas
email
Re: Pickup Potting question?????
I do not know if a unit created in 1742 is so modern new world fandangled unit of measurement, but I find imperial units pretty annoying :-)  
how can I find pickup covers for 50mm and 52mm bobbins when the covers are 1-15/16" and 2-1/16"? :-)  
so I can compute it, there is no problem, but these numbers do not match well :-)

3/25/2006 11:04 AM
sicovmicendeux
It's called sarcasm all over the world Lucas and I'm firmly fed up with having to convert Imperial to metric and visa versa BTW.  
Just get the candle wax and a thermometer with a bain marie set up. You'll be fine.  

sicovmicendeux

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/26/2006 8:02 AM
wandering fool
Love your user name. ;)

3/26/2006 10:37 AM
micen2
email
um ....sicov
Is your screen name supposed to be some hack at me? If so....I don't really know you, so.....it would be a waste of time to hack at me. Not to mention imature.....if I'm mistaken then please diregaurd...and all appologies sir.

3/26/2006 10:48 AM
BD
email

I think it was obvious...ignore it. Anybody that doesn't have the balls to say what's on their minds should just be ignored.

3/26/2006 11:00 AM
micen2
email

thatnks bd....you guys have been pretty comical and insightful to chat with. I appreciate that.

3/26/2006 1:07 PM
Steve Dallman
email

I use parafin from the canning section of a grocery store. The addition of 20% beeswax just makes the wax a little less brittle if I remember right.  

My rig is a cheap little coffee percolator I got from Goodwill for $2. It has a reostat that I set at minimum and then plug it into a Variac set for 55vac.  

These settings are meaningless except to me, but the setup goes to 150 degrees and luckily, doesn't vary at all. I've done dozens of pickups and no plastic bobbins have warped or melted.  

I have a couple thermometers we had at the food manufacturing plant I used to work for. (It closed a couple years ago.)  

I've gotten less than full potting on a couple pickups and have been thinking of coming up with a vacuum rig that may help with penetration.

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 4 Next> Last Page>>