ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Dave's in VG

11/23/2005 2:11 PM
Mark Hammer Dave's in VG
This month's Builder Profile in Vintage Guitar magazine is on none other than "our own" Dave Stephens!  

Nice article. Nice hat! Congrats, fella. Well-deserved.  

Is that pick guard material you use for those top plates?

11/23/2005 6:26 PM
Dave Stephens
Thanks...yeah thats the "Portland Blues uniform" (well at least mine), hat is great for balding guys in winter. Yes its Stew Mac 3 or 4 ply pickguard material, the diamond shape bolts to the top of the bobbin inside and secures the pickup in the housing. I should of included other pickups in the picture, players think thats all I make some of them.......

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/27/2005 3:45 PM
Sheldon Dingwall
email

That's some really nice looking work Dave.

11/28/2005 4:50 AM
Dave Stephens
Thanks, Sheldon......send money... :-)  

Seriously, in case you all are wondering what that kind of exposure brings, at this time of year in this economy, well, did get me a flurry of orders, maybe 8 sets of this and that and some of my most expensive pickups. Subscriber mailing goes out first so they get the first issues, then in January the the newstands get the magazine in the racks, so its a double hit. So, yeah its a cool thing, but I'm not swamped with orders, the guys without computers call for info and that was fun, the online users send emails, some of them , as always, asking for weird stuff for their pet projects that would require alot of R&D to do, but I get alot of that anyway. I did hope I could make aliving at this in the next five years or so since I'm getting a bit old, but now I'm not so sure there is big enough market out there anymore....I'll keep doing it for lack of any other skills I have, but the publicity has kind of been a reality check. A nice side source of income but maybe not supporting in future, but here's hoping.......Dave

11/28/2005 9:02 AM
Mark Hammer
Could be worse. You could be making fuzzboxes.

11/28/2005 6:31 PM
Dave Stephens
Hey thats a good idea actually, I wonder if they could even find space in the magazine for ANOTHER fuzz box company.....Fuzz-R-Us, I can see it now. Nah, I don't even use pedals what, am I nuts????

11/29/2005 2:38 AM
Greg Simon
Don't give up Dave. Keep at it, and get some more positive reviews, and wait for Bush to get out of office so the economy will turn around, and things will start to explode. I'll be waiting around when you get there to say "I told you so". :)

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>