ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

EARLY EBO PU,BEST REPLACEMENT?

2/14/2005 3:30 PM
ED
email
EARLY EBO PU,BEST REPLACEMENT?
I'VE GOT A 62 EBO BASS WITH THE BLACK PLASTIC PU.  
ITS GOT NO HEIGT ADJUSTMENT AND NOT MUCH IN THE WAY OF MIDS OR HIGHS.I WOULD REPLACE IT BUT THEN IT WOULD MEAN THE ORIGINAL PU COVER WOULD HAVE TO GO.  
I KNOW DIMARZIO MAKES A PU REPLACEMENT BUT ITS NOT ONE I CAN USE THE ORIGINAL PU COVER.  
WHAT CHOICES ARE THERE?SHOULD I START FROM SCRATCH AND WIND MY OWN PU,ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW A GOOD DESIGN,WHAT IMPEDANCE SHOULD I SHOOT FOR TO GET A BETTER ALL AROUND FREQENCY RESPONSE?

2/14/2005 3:49 PM
Fred Hammon
Ask your question here too.  

http://p096.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm5  

This is where the real die-hard Gibson bass fanatics lurk. Don a set of knee-pads, a helmet and maybe a cup before entering.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/14/2005 6:44 PM
maf-guitars
email

Maybe the best you can do; simply mount a "Dark Star" in that "Black Hole" and hear your bass come alive ! :)  
cheers, marcel

2/14/2005 6:01 PM
Fred Hammon
email

Thanks Marcel but I don't recommed it except for what they call "project basses" or already altered instruments because the cavities would have to be cut a bit wider and deeper. There is an historical precident a la Phil Lesh's bass but once that's done it's done. We're only custodians of these vintage instruments. They'll be around long after we're gone. There's some good replacement pickups out there as I'm sure Ed will find from information at the Gibson Bass Forum.

2/14/2005 5:49 PM
Fred Hammon
email

I forgot to mention that those early black Gibson mudpups are very valuable. If you should decide to replace it keep it safe somewhere. There are lots of folks needing them for restoration projects.

2/14/2005 7:08 PM
maf-guitars
email

You are totaly right Fred, about the Vintage-Value off that bass, maybe my idea came because i've seen (and heared) some replacements in the past few years, Dimarzio sounds more like a p-bass (there's nothing wrong with that as long as it IS a P-bass !) and I've seen a gig with somebody's very old EB-O equiped with a chrome-covered replacement which i think it was not Gibson, It doesn't sound so bad at all, but when some want to DO something with the bass, I think your pup is the right one to give some more, but thats my opinion, otherwise, to keep the instrument in original shape it must be possible to make a "custom-made" I presume, with all the cracks out here?  
Cheers,Marcel

2/14/2005 9:54 PM
Glenn
You'd be surprised - about a year ago I ebayed a bridge cover from a 70 EB-3 and it went for over $60. I was expecting 10, if it sold.

Page 1 of 1