ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Alnico Magnet Types

11/27/2004 2:56 PM
Josh Pardes
email
Alnico Magnet Types
Hi all, I am hoping to gather a little more information on the different Alnico magnet types. I have been using A5 and A2, but have yet to try A3 or A4. Does anyone have experience with these types? If so, how would you describe the sound they produce as compared to A5. I know that A5 is the strongest out of all of the types listed, but how do they rank in descending order? Thanks in advance. I've scoured the internet trying to find this info but there is not much out there beyond the general description of Alnico.

11/27/2004 4:57 PM
Spence
email

I'm reliably informed that the AlNiCos are numbered in order of when they were first patented as a type. This does not mean that they are asending in magnetic strength. I'm not one of these people with tons of test equiptment but again I am reliably informed that A3 is weaker than A2. A5 is stronger than both these. I haven't used A4 yet but it's thought that the best sounding PAFs used A4.  
I have started using A3 in the neck position on Strats with A2 in middle and bridge. Real nice combo. I am getting a nice woody/bluesy tone on these neck pickups and get away without any noticeable string-pull.  
Combined with A2 in the middle.....real nice in Position 4 and 3. A2 wound to 7.5 K with 42 AWG makes for a really usable bridge tone.

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/27/2004 5:21 PM
Dr. Strangelove
email

The industry standard document is the Permanent Magnet Materials MMPA 0100-00. It is a 1.44Meg .pdf file freely downloadable at  
<http://www.intl-magnetics.org/pdfs/0100-00.pdf>  

A supplement to MMPA-0100 is the Permanent Magnet Guide which may be downloaded at  
<http://www.duramag.com/Engineeringmachining/MMPA_PMG-88.pdf>  

-drh  
--

11/27/2004 10:58 PM
Josh Pardes
email

Hey Doc,  

The industry standard document had a lot of good info in it. Thanks for the link. The only thing that I am bummed about is that it didn't have any info on Alnico IV. Do you know much about it? Anyone else?  

Thanks,  

Josh

11/27/2004 7:05 PM
Dr. Strangelove
email

If you search on "alnico IV", you eventually find that it is weaker (remanence) than Alnico's 2 and 3, but as resistant to demagnetization (intrinsic coercivity) as Alnico 5-7. In practice, it would probably sound brighter than Alnico II but have less output, an effect you can get with the right amount of ceramic C-5 magnet.  

This is probably why it is rarely made -- not enough bang per buck.  

The PMM-0100 table II-1 (page 7) for Alnico IV would read sorta like this:  

Alnico IV  
MMPA brief designation: 1.2/0.71  
remanence: 5200 gauss  
coercivity: 700 Oersted  
intrinsic coercivity: 710 Oersted  
energy product (BHmax): 1.2 MGOe  
Aluminum: 12%  
Nickel: 26%  
Cobalt: 8%  
Copper: 2%  
(Iron: 52%)  

-drh  
--

12/30/2004 10:19 AM
Fred Hammon
email

Bump for BD  
This was about to get lost at the bottom.

12/30/2004 11:45 AM
bd
email
Thank you
Thanks........but there are still many unanswered questions....;-)

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>