ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Two Thousand Dead – and for What?

10/28/2005 7:45 AM
AndAnother Re: Two Thousand Dead – and for What?
I knew you would take that the wrong way. Crazy right wing is so egotisical that even a rude and juvenille gesture is interpreted as agreement. See the Republican view of non-partisanship? Getting along actually means screwing the opposition. Such a vivid picture of true intentions. I reject both wings when they sacrifice the good of the country for party politic. Bunch of losers.

10/28/2005 9:17 AM
Case Closed
;)

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/28/2005 11:41 AM
Kursad
Yes case closed and Bush et.al. were wrong. Wont they pay for the damage that they have caused?

10/28/2005 11:43 AM
Truth on a Platter
maybe it has already started.  
but not likely.

10/27/2005 11:00 AM
Kursad
They died because they did not have the power to say NO.  

Kursad

10/27/2005 10:05 AM
Mark Hammer
In addition to being husbands/wives, fathers/mothers, brothers/sisters, sons/daughters, nephews/nieces, and human beings, they're soldiers. That's part of what's in their contract. I have a harder time wrapping my head around what the many more thousands in the vicinity who AREN'T soldiers are dying for. That doesn't make their lives worth any less OR more, and to those who have lost anyone or even "parts" (physical or psychological or spiritual) of anyone, in that conflict, it's far too dismissive and callous an answer. But the fact is it's not part of their contract to be in harm's way, and in many respects they are dying largely because of the presence of outside armed forces.  

Of course, that simply says "why" and not "what for". For that, you'd have to ask them (the dead). Sadly, for all too many soldiers all around the world, the motives that bring them to the war front are seldom the circumstances in which they die. You sign up to fight for freedom, and you die in friendly fire, or coming out of a shoe store in a foreign country where they don't like you. You die with your death serving no purpose.  

A colonel I met a couple years ago, giving a talk to a bunch of psychologists about a staff conflict-resolution program they were implementing, described to us an incident told to him by someone he ran into after a tour of duty in Rwanda. They saluted each other on the street, as soldiers do, and the colonel asked "How ya doin'? Long time no see." The other replied "....Okay, I guess", which was enough to prompt the colonel to say "Hey, it's ME you're talking to. What's *really* going on?". The other fellow recounted being in a jeep along a rural road in Rwanda with his colleagues. Zipping along, they came across two pregnant women, one Tutsi, one Hutu, and the one was slaughtering the other with a machete. The vehicle stopped for an instant, and the driver simply looked forward, lowered his head and sped on. The faster he got out of there, the easier he could absolve himself of remaining uninvolved. I'm pretty damn sure no one in that jeep thought they ever signed up to ignore atrocities like that, yet the chain of command made it so.  

Whether Iraq or anywhere else - hell, even suicide bombers that get found out and have to blow themselves up without doing any collateral damage - the vast majority of those who die in armed conflicts as professional soldiers or mere onlookers, die in circumstances that have no heroism about them. I admire their dedication and courage, but I have a hard time finding justification for it in the outcome.  

Sometimes it seems as if the students of war, who became the masters of war, never really got beyond the image of British or French or Hessian or Russian troops marching out onto a huge field somewhere in bright gleaming uniforms, carrying flags, and charging at each other, miles away from the citizens/occupants of the countries they were battling over. These days, war is waged on the street corner, in the pizza parlour, in apartment and office buildings, in elementary schools, at the gas station, on civic holidays, religious holidays, in crowded streets, and on radar screens.

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2