ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Humble Opinion

10/16/2005 1:54 PM
GregP Re: Humble Opinion
It is simply good manners to submit one's opinion with a degree of humility.  

The greater the humility, the greater the possiblity of acceptance. Charge into a forum and proclaim your opinion is based on fact and you've automatically excluded any alternate avenue of discussion.  

Of course this forum is not afflicted with loud mouthed braggarts, thugs and bullys.  

May I have a cucumber sandwiche with my tea, please. Pinkys out, gentlmen.

10/17/2005 4:30 AM
Enzo
email

I present my opinion with humility as opposed to offering it up as though there were no other possible opinions to be had. To make a humble statement is the opposite of making a bold and universal proclamation.  

Ther is nothing wrong with being humble. it is not a dirty word. I am a humble shop keeper. No problem. I have no delusions of grandeur or inflated self-importance, humble is OK.  

If I say in my humble opinion it is also to say I am not shoving it into your face.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/17/2005 8:14 AM
Pierre Debs
Humility and humbleness has too much religious baggage-way too much judeo-christian baggage. Anything that requires a submission to some bigass force floating in the heavens is for me "gotta be a bad thing"  

Stand up and be proud, act like you gotta set, there is nothing wrong with being anti-humble.

10/17/2005 8:26 PM
Enzo
email

I am neither judeo-christian nor religious. To be humble is to not be boastful. I fear that baggage is your own. I don't find someone's humility to be a negative. I can tell you I made a great sounding amp without telling you my amp sounds better than your amp and that anyone else who tries to make a better amp than mine is a fool. Nothng turns me off harder than a boastful moron who is so full of himself ther is no room for others. Not pointing at anyone, but when you say anti-humble, that is what I picture.

10/17/2005 10:36 PM
GregP
Confidence is one thing. Ego is entirely another.  

Given a choice, I will choose humility. No religious overtones for me. I can be confident that my actions do no harm, are just and I remain humble. Nothing is gained by ego, IMHO.

10/18/2005 5:43 PM
anonymous
99% of the "non humble" people I come across don't live up to their pompous claims...perhaps you are the 1%...or perhaps not.

10/18/2005 7:22 PM
GregP
huh?

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 4 Next> Last Page>>