ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Adam's Attic going to Mediterranean!

12/11/2005 8:23 PM
Frank De Salvo
email
Adam's Attic going to Mediterranean!
We are leaving in late January to go on a tour taking us from Greece, Italy, France, Spain, and up through Turkey (with a few more countries in between!)!!  

We are stoked and I can't wait to crank the Boogie in Europe! :D  

~F  

BTW, if you've ever wanted an amp that can go from Fender Twin clean to Dual Rectifier lead, the Boogie DC series is where it's at! I picked up a DC-10 (100w) off of ebay and absolutely love it through the 1960a.  

~F

12/12/2005 9:33 PM
Enzo
email

All set to run the 120VAC stuff off their 240VAC mains?

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/12/2005 9:58 PM
Frank De Salvo
email

Yep, yep! :D

12/14/2005 7:32 PM
Steve A.
email
Remember...
    ... friends don't let friends play Boogie!  

Looking at the schematics for the DC2 (same preamp? I don't know) I see a lot of differences from a Dual Rectifier (4 stages instead of 5, no cathode follower, no 39k cathode resistor).  

Actually I'm not crazy about the Dual Rectifiers so I think that the DC-10 might be a better amp... Have you seen the new F-30, F-50 and F-100 amps? That is the direction they took the Dual Caliber (DC) amps... adding in some of the features of the Subway/Studio amps. The F-30 is very tempting because it is so light, but it only has a pair of EL84's so I'm not really sure that is a full 30 watts!  

Steve Ahola

12/14/2005 7:45 PM
Frank De Salvo
email

Lol, all it took was that power chord for me to forget about the JCM800. :D  

Man, the last 30w boogie I had (DC-3) had 3 el84s! The F series does rock, but in a way less compressed way than the DR series.  

I'm not sure about the similarities b/t the DRs and the DC series; it's just been the consensus that it shares the same lead channel!  

I took the dc-10's chassis out of the head cab and was impressed at the quality of the construction. It was alot greater than I expected.  

~F

12/14/2005 9:06 PM
Frank De Salvo
email

Bah, why cant we edit?! I meant the DC3 had 4 el84, lol...

12/15/2005 3:08 AM
Steve A.
email

Frank said:  

Bah, why cant we edit?! I meant the DC3 had 4 el84, lol...  

Try hitting the Back button in your browser. Depending on your memory settings, you might go back to the previous reply entry screen. Usually my memory is taxed to the limits so what I get is a completely blank reply form. :( But go ahead and try it- maybe you can figure out why it works some times but not others.  

As for the DC vs. DR issue, here is the PR crap from M/B on the new F series amps (which have been getting high ratings from all of the magazines that they advertise in. Hmmm... why does that make me suspicious?)  

Footswitching to Contour infuses a double dose of steroids and pumps up the gain to fiery proportions producing one of the most hellacious crunch sounds around. This grinding wall of gain was inspired by our mighty Dual Rectifier and creates a unique and luscious harmonic spread slightly different, but every bit as menacing as the Recto.  

In any case, with the DC amps, the lack of the 39k cathode resistor is a good thing in many people's opinion; especially since it was borrowed from the SLO. Mesa Boogie was making overdrive amps long before Mike Soldano came out with the SLO so I personally consider the DR to be a detour in the evolution of M/B products, and a ripoff to boot! Maybe it is because I always root for the underdog, but I like the "other" models- like the DC series, the Subway series, the Maverick and maybe the early Boogie amps (by the time they came out with the Mark IV it just became way too complicated).  

Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>