ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Favorite MiG50 mods and tweaks..

10/10/2005 2:31 PM
SpeedRacer
email
Favorite MiG50 mods and tweaks..
Hey..  

good buddy of mine (and guitar #2 in the band) had been shopping for an amp of his own. He found a clean MiG50 for $200 today which I thought was a steal.. So by this time he should own it.  

I am pretty familiar with the circuit (tweaked up 5F6-A/JTM45) and am familiar with the oxymoron of "russian build quality". What would you folks do who run these amps? I am planning on putting in new EL34 outputs, one of my own OT's, biasing it up, cleaning the pots and seeing where we're at.  

Are there any really nasty parts of this thing? Cheap switches, bad pots, evil bias circuit, etc that we'd want to replace sooner than later?  

tia!

10/11/2005 5:13 AM
Neal
email

Two things I ran into with mine... first, the input jacks are really cheesy. Mine would lose volume intermittently on stage, and a little "percussive maintenance" would usually fix it. Opened up, I found that the chrome plating had flaked off the input jack and would short the signal to ground. Second, the pots are extremely cheap. If you wanted to make it bulletproof, I'd replace the pots with chassis-mount pots and flying leads. The tube sockets on mine seem pretty decent. The resistors are sized as small as possible and still handle normal operating conditions, so if a tube fails, chances are it'll take out some nearby components.  
I haven't fired mine up in years, but I remember it being a pretty nice-sounding head. I should resurrect it.  
Neal

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/11/2005 5:25 AM
Neal
email
By the way...
If you would, document what you did to your buddy's Mig 50. I'd love to know how it sounds when you get done, and if you come up with any cool ideas I can try on mine. I'm thinking about stuffing mine in a single 12" combo cab for convenience. My best-sounding rig EVER was a BF Bassman head and a single 12" EV-loaded cab. I'm thinking the Mig-50 might get me 80% there.  
Neal

10/11/2005 9:50 PM
SpeedRacer Re: pre-lim report..
my buddy brought it over tonight. Store owner said it needed new outputs. My buddy said it was making no noise but everything lit up. I figured B+ issue. Amps should always make some noise if they have plate voltage. Sure enough the HT fuse holder was f'ed up and in 60 seconds we had the thing fired up and rocking. :)  

The pots are CRAP and 3 of them are cracked already..well, I shouldn't say "already" bc if the serial # is real, this amp was #487 in the run. This thing is relatively old. Metal input jacks but plastic on/off and standby switches. tubes look maybe original (still labeled "USSR" on them!) B+ is 580! ouch. I'm going to replace all the pots but it looks like a potentially ugly job. Take out the bracket, unsolder all of the old pots, see if hte new ones fit etc. Definitely going to need some beers for this. ;)  

all in all a great little amp for $250.  

if we do any cool mods I will post on them.  

thanks! - SR

10/11/2005 10:09 PM
CB
Keep us posted.  
I've often contemplated picking up one of these and doing as you are about to.  

Thanks.  

CB

10/12/2005 8:03 AM
Wild Bill
email

Speed, I've done a couple of Sovteks. I was very happy with one particular MIG 50 that was picked up cheap by a local blues player.  

I threw the pcb, jacks and pots away and wired it point-to-point like a 1987. Then I sqeezed in a Hammond 5v/3A xfmr to light up a 5U4. This of course helped the high B+ a fair bit and gave some sag. Tucked a screen choke inside along one "wall".  

Other than that, I just put in my 47 ohm cathode resistors trick and did some cosmetics to remove the Sovtek logos and make it "pretty". And of course, an nfb switch on the back.  

It's a great rockin' blues amp and the guy who owns it refuses to consider ever parting with it!  

Just FYI  

---Wild Bill

10/12/2005 11:20 AM
SpeedRacer
email

Nice mods! What'd you do about the filter caps? (all the ones on the PCB I mean) I'll at least be replacing the cheesy switches, putting in new output tubes and of course the pots for now.  

Been thinking about using a couple of zeners to get the B+ back to earth so that he could use EL34 or 6L6 in the amp. Not sure how recent production EL34's would do with nearly 600V on them.. esp if I want to run some real current through them..  

Steve Albini is apparently a big fan of the MiG50 btw.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>