ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Peavey Reactor Tele copy.

10/8/2005 2:45 PM
Humbucker
email
Peavey Reactor Tele copy.
I've heard good things about the Peavey Reactor Tele copies, apparently they're a good value for the money. Decent quality and made in the USA.  

Sadly Peavey discontinued this guitar quite awhile ago. I'm keeping an eye open for a used one.  

Does anybody here have an opinion on these guitars and how much they might be worth secondhand?

10/9/2005 11:27 AM
steve
email

One way to get a general idea of how much they're worth/going for is to check eBay.  

If you check completed listings, three sold in the last couple of days in the range of $148-$279.  

A few weeks before that there were a couple with bids of $110-$132 that didn't meet the reserve.  

There was one priced at $199 that didn't get any bids at all.  

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what they're worth.  

steve

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

10/9/2005 7:28 PM
Steve A.
email

HB:  

I had heard the same thing about 10 years ago so I bought one of the Reactors made in the USA. If you are planning to leave it stock, great. But in replacing the pickups I found that the dimensions were not the same as most real or cloned teles. IIRC I had to use my dremel tool to enlarge the openings for both pickups, and when I wanted to replace the bridge later the holes did not line up.  

For some reason it was particularly difficult to play on the first fret. The strings would hang up on the nut when I bent them and the pitch would actually rise! (I had a luthier replace the nut with a graphite one, which solved the second problem but not the first.)  

In any case, I started robbing parts off my Reactor so I believe it is up in my attic missing a pickup or two, and maybe one of the controls as well. :(  

I think I paid $150-175 for it back then, and did try it out in the store before buying it. Although the first fret sucked the rest of the neck played very fast (at that time I had only one other tele, an American made one from 1982). There are only a few guitars I have abandoned and this was one of them. :(  

Steve Ahola

10/10/2005 6:42 PM
Humbucker
email

Thanks a lot for your responses guys!

Page 1 of 1