ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Playing the guitar with One Finger

1/6/2005 12:10 AM
John Fisher
email
Playing the guitar with One Finger
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  
I have been amazed at some of the new music these days that you can play the guitar with one finger.(no lead riffs allowed)  
While podering this the other day I got inspired on my day off and wrote and recorded this song.  
I borrowed my sons strat that I made him and played it through my home made Sans Amp Distortion and into my home made LA2 mic preamp then into my computer.  
The guitar is is D tuning and dropped down one half note.  
I am using sampled drums (sorry) that I played real simple with no fancy drum rolls just to hear what the song would sound like. (My 2 hour production.)  
http://fish.250free.com/sing/cantbemoved.mp3  
Thanks!  
John Fisher

1/6/2005 7:42 AM
SpeedRacer
why is a 1 finger bar chord any "worse" than all the diad Root-5th power chords from the 60's/70's/80's/90's? Is there really a problem with this? ;) We went from 2 fingers to 1? You can do lead riffing on open tuned guitars.. they will get around to it I am sure. Country guys, slide players, bluesmen, etc. have done it for decades. MOF I think if we did our research we'd no doubt find the first 1 finger players were delta bluesmen. Just a hunch. Ry Cooder supposedly showed Keef this whole thing - playing in open G using one finger chords. (drop A down to G, and drop high E to D or take it off) suddenly all the stones mat'l from sticky fingers on up works better.. 1 finger. Try it out.  

I personally think it's cool that folks are trying new tunings, getting some really heavy sounds.. and if they keep going they'll find some gorgous voicings in open E, open G and the others. I like tuning an open E but bring the whole thing down a whole step so it's open D (but where the '1 finger' chord would be a root position "E" chord) That sounds great on an acoustic. the wound strings get these great harmonics going when they are detuned.. I love it. I forget the tuning from "the rain song" - it's a G with some sus notes in it.. but another gorgeous one. Worth looking up.  

jm2c  

ps: whose trannies did you use for your LA2a? I'm about to build one.. looking at Jensen trannies as I cannot find originals.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/6/2005 8:19 AM
Mark Hammer
email

When I was in high school, we had a concert by Richie Havens, who seemed to fret almost everything as a barre chord with his thumb.

1/6/2005 8:23 AM
giustd
sounds good, cool solo. one finger, hey!

1/6/2005 8:37 AM
John Fisher
email

quote:
"why is a 1 finger bar chord any "worse" than all the diad Root-5th power chords from the 60's/70's/80's/90's? Is there really a problem with this? "

I should have refrazed my title to "Playing the guitar with 1 finger and 2 strings"  

I have done a lot of that acoustic and slide stuff with alternitive tunings and it can be quite creative but what I was suggesting more was the fact that the new stuff is not so intricate.  

My son is learning the guitar this way and although he is doing pretty good I don't want him to get stuck on just that one thing which can be quite limiting when there is so much more you can do even with alternitive tunnings.  

Thanks!  
John Fisher

1/6/2005 8:48 AM
John Fisher
email

quote:
"ps: whose trannies did you use for your LA2a? I'm about to build one.. looking at Jensen trannies as I cannot find originals."

I used the Jensens and they worked great!  
I didn't use one on the output as they are even more expensive and I don't believe it's so necessary. I just put a good cap in series shunted with a resistor ot ground. Besisdes I didn't care if the output was ballanced or not as it is only going about 2 feet to my computer. I built this thing about 2 years ago and have produced dozens of CD's with it and I love it.  
I did a couple of other modifications to it also.  
The LA2 is primarily used as a line in preamp so I built an extra tube stage in front of it to be able to use a microphone. I do have a switch though to bypass this for line in use. I always record my bass using the line in and to me it sounds great! Especially when I crank on the limitor of the LA2.  
John Fisher

1/6/2005 1:16 PM
StephenGiles
Wonderfull stuff John, wonderfull!  
Stephen

Page 1 of 1