ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Pioneer VSX-5000 Receiver

7/16/2004 7:56 AM
Rob Mercure
email
Pioneer VSX-5000 Receiver
Howdy Folks,  

An old and dear friend asked me to attempt to fix his Pioneer VSX-5000 receiver. As best I can tell this all digital switching monster is stuck on monitoring Tape 2 - otherwise I "believe" it's functional. Does anyone here have any experience with these beasts? A service manual would be helpful (will have him order one if necessary) but basically I suspect that it just suffers from a switching malady.  

Rob

7/16/2004 6:13 PM
Enzo
email

I don't know that model specifically, but a lot of receivers use a big custom IC for the selector duties. Look over near the jack plane and see of a lot of the traces collect to one IC, or maybe two - one per channel. The chip may be available from MCM, otherwise get from the factory parts.  

A sure sign of trouble is DC riding on signal tracces and even out to the jacks.  

ANd make sure the switch for Tape 2 is not shorted.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

7/18/2004 7:57 PM
Rob Mercure
email

Hey Doug,  

Thanks for the reply. Just by luck I found that some bits of grit were mechanically interfering with the "switch" contact strip - almost microscopic bits of funk but enough to keep the Tape Monitor 2 triggered. Otherwise the unit is working well but the power "switch" sometimes takes several whacks to actuate - wonder if one could take a hypodermic with a fine needle and squirt "anything" in to fix those flimsy contacts.  

Rob

10/20/2004 12:55 PM
tonto
email

I have 2 of these amps .. both have the same  
problem..  
sound output clicks on and off..  
intermittant, so it's a pain.  

I have noticed that I can bend the chassis  
and the sounds will come back..  

any ideas ??  

where's the schematic ??  
sams ?

10/20/2004 2:02 PM
Artie
email

Hey Rob; If you can find a way to get it in, the absolute best "stuff" to use is made by a company called Caig Labs. (www.caig.com) You want the product called Deoxit Power Booster. (Dumb name - great product.)  

Tonto; when you have a problem like that, there's really only one good way to find it. You'll need to take the unit apart at least as far as is necessary to be able to examine the main circuit board closely. With a magnifying glass, look over all the soldereing connections. You'll eventually find one,(or more), that appear to have a small "circle" around the solder pad. Remake those solder connections.  

They aren't as hard to spot as it sounds. In fact, if your eyes are younger than mine, you may be able to do it with the naked eye. Just make sure the board is lit well.

12/27/2004 9:01 AM
Mr K
email

Rob, You SUCK!!!

Page 1 of 1