ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Traynor power amp chip query

6/6/2004 2:05 PM
Mark Hammer
email
Traynor power amp chip query
I picked up a little Traynor T10/G practice amp dirt cheap yesterday. It was dirt cheap because it was not working. Turns out the power amp chip is blown. I'd like to replace it, and probably have the part, but the chip is damaged enough that it is impossible to identify. All I know is that it is a 5-pin chip similar to a TDA2003, LM383, TDA2030, etc., that is used to deliver somewhere in the vicinity of 10 watts into a 6.5" speaker. Reviews on H-C would suggest the unit can deliver as much as 20W. Since the design is VERY similar to a Marshall 8010, which uses a TDA2030, I am guessing this one uses the same chip.  

Can anyone confirm or deny?

6/6/2004 9:45 PM
Enzo
email

All the 5-leg chips are pretty much the same. A 2030 or a 2040 ought to work fine. If you have doubts, trace the five legs back to whatever they connect to. Two rails, output, and the +/- inputs. That ought to be easy to verify that they are the same as on a 2030/2040.  

Or call Yorkville and ask them.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/7/2004 8:15 AM
Mark Hammer
email

That's pretty much what I figured. Bench time is rather limited this week, so I sent Traynor a note and will patiently wait for them to confirm.  

Thanks for your help. I'll keep my TDA2030 chip handy.

6/22/2004 7:42 PM
MOZZ
email

2030 and 2040 have different max supply voltages, measuring the voltage you can correctly install the correct part. it sucks to do the job twice, and remember to check for DC on the output before connecting the speaker, it is capacitor coupled and it may be shorted

6/29/2004 2:14 PM
Mark Hammer
email

Thanks. Given the cabinet size and model name (T10/G), I'm assuming that it is aiming for about 10W so even if the 2030 or 2040 were used, the supply voltage would be lower than max, but you are correct to recommend that the supply voltage should be used in the "detective work".

Page 1 of 1