ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Routing guitar bodies for Floyd Rose question?

11/4/2005 11:28 AM
Mitch Routing guitar bodies for Floyd Rose question?
Well I have to ask as I am in a bit of an unknown here.  

I have the Stew-mac templates to do the recessed routes for the Floyd rose trems on my guitars and have done 5 different guitars successfully but when I try to route the neck pocket a slight bit deeper, I wind up chipping the edge of the guitar body on the inside cut edge where the neck fits into the body.  

I'm using the stew-mac templates to do these routes but is there a technique to this neck pocket route without chipping the neck pocket edge?  

The purpose of the routes are to set the Floyd rose just above the body but having the recces to pull back on the bar for those screaming notes and harmonics.  

If anyone has experience with this could you please let me know.  

Thanks  

Mitch

11/4/2005 10:15 PM
Mitch
Update,  
I figured it out, just got to route very small amounts of wood at a time as to not chip the wood or paint.  

I routed 2 kramer bodies tonight and they came out good.  

Mitch the router man. LOL.....

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/7/2005 8:13 AM
Earl
email

It helps to apply masking tape to the area.

11/7/2005 10:39 AM
Mitch
Hey Earl,  
It had dawned on me the other night to do that too. Thanks for that thought anyway.  

I have found when drilling the neck for a floyd nut to put putty behind the neck so the drill bit won't chip wood. That and the using masking tape and a brad point bit to counter sink the head of the screw that hold the FR clamp into the back side of the neck.  

I've had the routing templates for a few years and when I get used guitars with the Floyd's on them I like to lower the action by doing these routes in the body and neck pocket. I think I'm finally getting it down well too ;)  

Plus I change the pickup setup to humbuckers when getting guitars with the H-S-S setup. making them into H-S-H  

I just did a 80's Kramer F6000 to a H-S-H setup and all of a sudden I realized that this guitar body looks more like an Ibanez RG-550 style body.  

Kinda makes me wonder if Ibanez copied the Kramer body since I think these were out before the RG series were? LOL....  

Mitch

11/7/2005 12:15 PM
Earl
email

They may have been produced in the same factory!! LOL

11/7/2005 3:38 PM
jaysg you might score the outline first (e)

Page 1 of 1