ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Les Paul Pots

5/12/2005 9:57 PM
Paul Sarabia Les Paul Pots
Just have a quick question for you guys.I'm trying to do the wiring for this guitar that I'm am building.Its going to be wired like an ordinary Les paul.2 humbuckers 2 volume and 2 tone controls.I have 2 300k ohm and 2 500k ohm pots which of this should I use for the volume and which one shaould I use for the tone.If anybody would be able to help it would be much appreciated.Thank you!

5/13/2005 1:41 AM
Steve A.
email

Paul:  

500k is the preferred value for both volume and tone controls used with humbuckers (Gibson has used 300k pots from time to time, and it is generally recommended to replace them with 500k.)  

Are these long bushing pots as used on a LP? Or regular bushing pots mounted to a pickguard or plate? I bring that up because it is generally a hassle to get the long bushing LP pots so you might as well try using what you have.  

You might want to experiment with the two values of pots first, and maybe try different value tone caps as well. For starters I think you'll probably get better results with 500k volume pots and 300k tone pots. For the tone caps, you might try 0.022uF but I personally recommend the 0.015uF/630v cap, which is called the EC Woman tone cap. When you turn it all of the way down to 0, there is still plenty of "tooth" in the tone; doing this with some neck pickups you might get a sound just like "Sunshine of Your Love"... ;)  

Steve Ahola

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/13/2005 3:24 PM
Dwight Listmayer
Yes, for some reason DiMarzio has added Special Notes to their humbucking pickup instructions' leaflet. It always made a strong impression on me, being so specific, and I quote from it: "500K control is the recommended value for volume control and 250K is the recommend value for tone controls. .02 (or .022) mfd is the recommended value for the capacitor on the tone control."  

And I know this works well, so you could use the 300K as tones. And you could mix & match tone caps per Steve Ahola. I like the idea and compatibility of the lesser-value woman tone cap with that, as Steve suggested. Some day I may start a thread on how just ONE master tone brightens the sound of a whole guitar. It is written, and its true, there's less resistance I guess, I don't exactly know why it works. Strat man Dwight

5/13/2005 7:43 PM
Steve A.
email
Pasties
Strat man Dwight said:  

Some day I may start a thread on how just ONE master tone brightens the sound of a whole guitar. It is written, and its true, there's less resistance I guess, I don't exactly know why it works.  

If it is a text file, you could copy it to your clipboard and then paste it into a message here for all of us to read.  

So is that for a strat or a LP? BTW there are two different ways to hook up a tone control... you can tap the signal from the volume pot on either the wiper or the ungrounded outside terminal. I'm not sure how the effect will differ as you turn the volume control down. :(  

But it does seem to be most common for the volume pot to be wired up with the outgoing signal connected to the wiper and the tone control to be connected to the ungrounded outside terminal. That way the tone cut should stay roughly the same as you turn the volume down; if the tone control was connected to the wiper, the % cut in trebles would increase as you turned the volume down... I think! ;) Maybe not...  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. I figured that the new subject line would get everybody's attention...

5/13/2005 8:02 PM
Mark Lavelle
email
...and a G-string!
quote:
"P.S. I figured that the new subject line would get everybody's attention..."
It worked for me! ;)

Page 1 of 1