ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

All-Around Amp Project

12/9/2005 12:19 PM
cwoodall
email
All-Around Amp Project
Here's a question that I ask loosely, mainly because I realize that every vintage amp is special in it's own unique way. I'm just tossing out this question get a warm fuzzy. If you had to choose one Fender amp to reproduce, from the ground up (cabinet, chassis, circuit, etc) and you wanted something that represented a good, classic, middle of the road, all-around, for a 1-amp-owner, amplifier, what would you choose? ANy benchmarks ? (I know, I know, they're all benchmarks.....).  

Thanks,  

CW

12/10/2005 4:38 PM
Rick Erickson
email

1959 5F6-A Tweed Bassman 4-10 combo. All parts are readily available and it's a fairly easy build.  
If you want a smaller amp, a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe would be my second choice for the same reasons.  

RE

Monday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/10/2005 5:18 PM
cwoodall
email

Funny you should mention that one. It was on the top of my list. I have the schematic/layout....also have a chassis drawing that I would use to fab up a correct chassis. One thing I dont have is a good cabinet drawing. I bet there's one to be had out there somewhere. I'd wanna keep everything anatomically correct. Thanks for the input Rick.  

CW

12/11/2005 7:59 PM
Casey4s
email

My answer is the same as Ricks. The 5F6-A for a larger amp and definatly a 5E3 for a smaller amp.

12/12/2005 1:10 PM
George
email

The 5E7 "Super" is my fav'. After building a Mission Amps (Bruce Collins) Super, I've started selling off my other vintage Fenders (Blackface Princeton, 6G11 Vibrolux). I ordered a PT with a switchable secondary so I may drop B+ as desired. So far, I run either TAD 6L6s or JJ 6V6s. The 2-10 cabinet with Weber 10A100/10F150 is much easier for my 50-year-old back to handle than a 5F6A and it breaks up just a little sooner so I don't need to get quite as loud. By varying output tubes, switching B+, and swapping rectifier tubes, I can cover most any base I need for power from about 15-40w in one amp.

Page 1 of 1