ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Wiring a reverse phase jumper cable

12/9/2005 1:06 PM
anonymous Re: Wiring a reverse phase jumper cable
So basically, you maintain there's no way to do polarity reversal with say a hammond project box, some jacks, a DPDT toggle and two-signal shielded wire?  

I'm not accusing you of being wrong, but I received a suggestion from a well-known amp tech on how to make one. I'm going to keep his identity anonymous here because he said... "I asked you the time and you're telling me I need to build a watch," or something like that.  

So, if I understand his notes, it looks like I jumper the channels by connecting each channel to a jack on this project box. The incoming jack is wired to the DPDT. The signal is inverted at the DPDT and wired back to 2 output jacks via two-signal wire. Now I have two output jacks on the box - one standard polarity, the other inverted, selectable with a DPDT toggle. Sounds like a useful tool to me. Does this sound right?

12/9/2005 1:10 PM
starfish
So basically, you maintain there's no way to do polarity reversal with say a hammond project box, some jacks, a DPDT toggle and two-signal shielded wire?  

I'm not accusing you of being wrong, but I received a suggestion from a well-known amp tech on how to make one. I'm going to keep his identity anonymous here because he said... "I asked you the time and you're telling me I need to build a watch," or something like that.  

So, if I understand his notes, it looks like I jumper the channels by connecting each channel to a jack on this project box. The incoming jack is wired to the DPDT. The signal is inverted at the DPDT and wired back to 2 output jacks via two-signal wire. Now I have two output jacks on the box - one standard polarity, the other inverted, selectable with a DPDT toggle. Sounds like a useful tool to me. Does this sound right?

Sunday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/9/2005 2:37 PM
Rick Erickson
email

Try it and see. If he's a well known tech he must be right. ;)  

RE

11/23/2005 12:36 PM
regis
R.G. has a white paper on phase reversal on his webpage:  

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/polarity_reverser/polarity_reverser.htm  

Seems like that should do the trick.

12/9/2005 1:09 PM
starfish
I could build one of these no problem, but adding components is what I'm trying to avoid. I want to keep the signal path as minimal as possible. See my other post re: advice from a well-known amp tech. He suggested a box with jacks, a DPDT toggle and 2-signal wire. What's your take on that?

12/9/2005 2:43 PM
Rick Erickson
email

It won't work because you have a common ground and when you reverse the phase of one jack you will be grounding the hot side of the signal to ground.  

RE  

P.S. - Rock stars know my name... now will you believe me?

12/9/2005 6:28 PM
starfish
>>>  
It won't work because you have a common ground and when you reverse the phase of one jack you will be grounding the hot side of the signal to ground.  
>>>  

How so? Using a 2-signal wire + shield. The sheild is not used for signal.

<<First Page<Prev Page 3 of 4 Next> Last Page>>