ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

6k6 use in fender 63 reverb reissue

11/7/2005 12:59 PM
kevin
email
6k6 use in fender 63 reverb reissue
Can i use a 6k6 in place of the 6v6 in my fender 63 reverb reissue without any mods.If so what change in tone will it produce.I have a few nos 6k6's and i would like to try them, but i don't want to blow up the reverb unit.thanx in advance for any advice.

11/7/2005 2:02 PM
Dai Hirokawa
email

yes, should work. I have (in my reiss.) and nothing untoward happened. I guess maybe it sounded a bit less distorted (been awhile since I've used it).

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/16/2005 12:22 PM
misterdontmove
email

I believe that's the orginal tube used in that unit (in 63) !

11/16/2005 3:33 PM
SpeedRacer
email

that's correct. 6K6 has lower power ratings etc than 6V6 but in this app it does not matter. As long as your B+ is within range and the idle current is cool you should be fine. It only dissipates 8.5W (vs 12 for 6V6GTA) I think the RI ships with 6V6 bc no one makes a 6K6 anymore, that's all.

11/17/2005 8:04 PM
Rick Erickson
email

I prefer the 6K6 in my reverb unit, an original 60's w/brown tolex. I have to wonder if there might be an easy way to detune the circuit so that a 6V6 would sound as good. Something I've been meaning to look into before Randal Smiff does it and patents it.  

RE

Page 1 of 1