ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Questions on Harmony H410

8/2/2005 3:18 PM
Carlo Pipitone
email
Questions on Harmony H410
Hello fellow Ampagers,  

I have bought a stock '65 Harmony H410 amp.  
It's a sweet crunchy little baby that only needs some minor overhaul (cap job and a few drifted resistors).  

I have two questions:  

1) wouldn't it be wise to put a fuse somewhere? If so, where?  

2) the schematic shows a .1uF and a 1uF caps in the tremolo circuit (which is driven by a 6AU6 tube). In the amp there are two .47 caps in those places (red spots in the schematic, see the link below). Those are two nice, huge, sturdy red caps (don't know their brand). Do you think I should put the original values in both cases? Or may I leave them alone?  

The schematic is here:  
http://www.accordo.it/upload/1123017160/harmony_h410_partial.jpg  

TIA,  
Carlo

8/3/2005 2:06 AM
Chuck
email

Those caps in the trem only serve to make the tube oscillate and alter the voltage on whatever part of the circuit is tremoloed (is that a word?). So they aren't in the signal path. If the trem is working to your satisfaction you can leave those caps alone. There is no tone improvement to be had by changing them.  

Chuck

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

8/3/2005 3:18 AM
Carlo Pipitone
email

I see...  

Aren't the bias modulating caps the C5-C6-C7 .02uF caps?  

Carlo

8/3/2005 9:25 AM
Chuck
email

Well I'm no expert on trems. And I hadn't looked at the schem before. C5, C6 and C7 are part of a phase reversal circuit used to make the 6AU6 oscillate. C10 (in red) looks to be for shaping the envelope and C11 (in red), well, I'm not sure. But none of them are in the signal path. They only effect the the oscillator tubes oscillation. So If it's oscillating, and you like the effect and envelope, then it's good.  

Chuck

8/3/2005 1:06 PM
Carlo Pipitone
email

Thanks Chuck.  

If the circuit works like in BF/SF Fenders, those C5, C6 and C7 (tied to the tube's plate, pin 5) should be involved with the oscillation speed.  
Do you agree?  

I ask because I do want to decrease the speed rate subbing a larger cap in there.  

Carlo

8/3/2005 8:29 PM
Chuck
email

I'm really going out on a limb getting involved in a trem related post...I've never built or owned an amp with a trem. But IIRC the Weber book suggests increasing the value of the last cap in the phase reversal circuit to slow down the trem.

8/5/2005 3:11 AM
Carlo Pipitone
email
Ok, thanks! (nt)
no text

Page 1 of 1