ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Fender princeton

4/16/2005 9:15 PM
add69
email
Fender princeton
I just got a fender princeton I dont have any experience with tube amp repair. I have built a few fuzz boxes though.I did find the schematic,but My question is what do I do to get this guy up and running. whats frist? Any tips would be grate. thanks in avance.

4/17/2005 7:18 AM
mark h
email

Fire it up and see how it sounds. If you like what you hear, you're done. If it doesn't behave properly, start by verifying the tubes are all good and strong. After that, the electrolytic caps may need replacing but I wouldn't touch them unless you were trying to fix somthing you didn't like or you were going on the road for 6 months and this was your only amp. Post back with specifics when you test it out and have questions about what you find. Good luck...M

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/17/2005 8:55 AM
Don Symes
email

In general, the tube amp debug guide at http://www.geofex.com is a valuable resource.  

Also, when you are mucking about inside the chassis, put the guitar where you can't reach it and keep at least one hand in a pocket at all times. A 300V shock backed by 40uF of capacitance going from one hand to the other is pretty likely to STOP YOUR HEART.

4/17/2005 10:27 AM
add69
email

Ok I did fire it up and it does play seems a bit on the weak side but it is only 5 watts, not sure what kind of punch 5 watts should have? The sound seems ok exsept if you turn down the the tone POT or whatever that is? the marking is rubbed off but it's the pot that has the (on off) switch and on the schematic seems to be some kind of tone control, pot cap and shunt to ground? So anyway if you turn this down it gets real fizzed out and wimppy. also the speaker that came with it was blown so I used an old 10 I had laying around and not knowing what ohm of speaker you should hook to this amp I did not play it too long. I think I heard some place that some of the old amps used 16 ohm speakers? Also the tolex is pulling off in a few spots and it needs some cosmedic tlc so any articles you can point me to on that kind of thing. would real cool, and thanks for everything.

4/17/2005 1:09 PM
mark h
email

This sounds like a tweed princeton at 5 watts? The speaker should be 8 ohms and a light weight low power type would be appropriate for a tweed princeton. Again, the tubes should be verified. Good strong tubes could make a world of difference if what's in there now are weak. Good luck...M

4/17/2005 1:47 PM
add69
email

yes it's tweed princeton tv front it was my grandfathers then uncles now its mine my grand father bought it some time after ww2 so i gueuss it to be 1947-1950 so you think a weak tube would make the tone pot fizz out when you turn it down?

4/17/2005 7:12 PM
mark h
email

Well. The tone pot may be dirty and could be improved by spraying lightly with a cleaner. If all the electronics (caps resistors transformers etc.) are original, I would be very hesitant to change or replace anything as doing so may reduce the value of the piece. The tubes being the exception. It's a tough call when it comes to messing with a vintage amp like this. If you go through it and replace everything that is out of tolerance, the amp may perform better but it's no longer an original piece. If it were mine, I would change as little as possible but that's just my $.02 Good luck...M

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>