ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

amp noise

1/4/2006 9:58 PM
alex
email
amp noise
im not that smart with amps. but my friend tried linking amps and accidently plugged the two speaker puts together. and now all it does is hum no matter the volume. i'd appreciate any comments on whats wrong and how to fix it. thanks.

1/5/2006 7:52 AM
KB
email

What kind of amp is it ? tube vs transistor ? Make model  

KB

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/5/2006 12:24 PM
rooster.
First off, "linking" amps is a big no-no. Secondly, "linking" amps is a big no-no. Were I you, I'd post my location, and see if anyone on the board does amp repair. And, keep your friend away from your amps in the future.  

rooster.

1/5/2006 12:58 PM
g1
email

If you're real lucky, a ground trace blew out. If not, the whole power amp section could be blown.  
Is the other amp still working?  
If you meant what you said "im not that smart with amps", you shouldn't be fixing this one yourself.

1/5/2006 11:11 PM
alex
email

the other amp does the same thing. Im very capable of fixing im just not familiar with solving the problem of what needs to be fixed.  
its a crate GX-15 just a practice amp its all i have so i was trying to salvage it. thanks.

1/6/2006 12:19 AM
Enzo
email

Oh, the little practice amps are all pretty much the same, and I would be very surprised if all that was wwrong with it was a blow output chip.  

Is there a five leg TO220 on the heat sink? Number TDA2040 (or 2030)? I bet it is shot and is putting DC on the speaker.

1/6/2006 12:32 AM
alex
email

yeah its there. thanks ill replace tommorrow and respond. thanks alot for your help.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>