ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: TSL 100

3/20/2005 9:59 PM
Enzo
email
Re: TSL 100
Without looking at the schemo, I have to assume none of the wires are in the signal path, so wouldn't 5 conductor work using shield as common? MIDI cable.

3/21/2005 11:30 AM
Mark Black
email

It's been ages since I dissected a MIDI cable, but I seem to remember 4 conductors plus shield (on pin 2). The Marshall switch needs 6, with one being used as power to the footswitch for LED's and such.  

Too bad they didn't copy Fender on that one, since Fender cleverly gets up to 3 switching functions on a single pair.  

Good thinking on the MIDI cable though - I actually found an outfit selling 7-pin MIDI cables online (didn't know that standard existed). Might be a good source of wire at least.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/22/2005 11:33 AM
Two Tone
email

So today I was looking after this FS mess and it turned out to be the connector on the back panel,Matt you´re right,what a stupid design!One thing I couldn´t fix though is the "Red rocker switch"(power switch),replaced it twice with a new one but each time it blew the bulb!

3/22/2005 11:21 PM
Enzo
email

How do you blow a neon lamp?

3/23/2005 3:46 AM
Mark Black
email

I was wondering that too - and then I thought about all the 12V incandescent rocker switches we get at work for American DJ stuff and got to wondering: Are these rapidly-failing switches an actual Marshall replacement (or at least 120VAC lamp)? Or are they the very similar-looking switches available at the local auto parts store which use 12V lamps?

3/23/2005 8:08 AM
Two Tone
email

Original Marshall Parts(8 USD each!),have to replace those every now and then,not too often,but this one´s special,I leave it as is,tour amp from german act( Nena-you won´t know her)

3/23/2005 11:02 AM
Derek
email

Nena rocks!!  
99 Luftballoons - I remember that song - it was released in both German and English versions about 16 years ago - Nea was the first chick I saw with armpit hair - check out the video. That song has a cool middle 8 - it is one of those "automatic" riffs I play when I pick up a guitar to aimlessly noodle.  

TSL footswitches are the devil's work.  

I too have had 3 units with cables broken in the middle - all discovered, of course, after wasting time repairing the cable ends. Absolutely the most fidgety annoying waste of time. I just replace them now. I have better things to do than dick around with a poorly designed and poorly supported footswitch. Not worth the repair time in $$ - unless you are fixing your own unit.  

Long live Nena and her armpit hair!!

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>