ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

TSL 100

3/17/2005 12:25 PM
Two Tone
email
TSL 100
I´m having a Marshall TSL 100(JCM 2000)for repair, the 5-way footswitch is freakin´and so is the amp when connected to the FS.Without it all channels,reverb,Led´s etc work as they should.Has anyone had similar experience and/or an idea how to fix this?

3/17/2005 12:58 PM
Matt
Yes. It's very likely that it is the 5-pin connector on the back of the amp. It has no strain relief and everytime you plug/unplug the footswitch cable, you stress the solder connections. The solder connections crack and the amp acts like it's possessed or something.  

The solder connections are the ONLY thing that support that connector. Totally stupid design.  

You can open up the amp and reflow those connections and have the amp buttoned up in about 30 minutes.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/17/2005 1:08 PM
Two Tone
email

Wow,that was fast,thanks a lot,I´ll give it a try

3/18/2005 12:30 AM
Mark Black
email

Also FWIW I have seen a lot of problems with the footswitch cable itself - unfortunately usually in the middle of the cable. I have a request in with my local Marshall dealer to see if they can order a bunch of replacement cables since it's such a common problem and a replacement footswitch assembly is over-the-top expensive (and wasteful). Results pending...

3/18/2005 3:14 PM
Rick Erickson
email
Atten: Mark Black
Mark - let me know if you're sucessful in getting some of those cables. I happen to need one for a switch I have in my shop.  

Rick E.

3/18/2005 6:12 PM
Enzo
email
Re: TSL 100
My experience with footswitches with captive cable is that they break right where the cable comes out the strain relief exiting the pedal. Lop the cable off a couple inches from the pedal, then rewire. If it isn't that end it is where the cable exits the plug. I rarely see cable truly broken in the middle unless someone physically damages the cable by setting a stool leg on it or something. Not saying it doesn't happen of course. But right by the strain relief is always where I look first. If I am facing cable replacement, what have I to lose by trimming the cord back a couple inches?

3/20/2005 3:13 PM
Mark Black
email

Enzo that has been my usual experience too. So I was a bit surprised by the two Marshall 5-button footswitches I have worked on, which both had breaks in the middle of the cable. It's really small-gauge 6-conductor wire (pretty flexible for that many conductors).  

I can only guess the failures are from being stepped on. Are Cuban-heel boots back in again? :)  

Rick - no word yet on replacement cable assemblies. I can get the connectors fairly easily (Mouser) to create replacements, but I had no idea how hard it is to find 6-conductor wire with a black jacket and good flexibility. In fact if anyone here knows of a good source for that kind of cable I would love to hear about it.

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>