ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Vox Cambridge (recent) - low, thin output

3/9/2005 7:06 PM
Lonzo Vox Cambridge (recent) - low, thin output
I tried one of these out the other day (used) and it was extremely thin and had very low output. I have played through these before and found them to be a decent sounding little amp - not like the used specimen I came across. Any ideas of a cause for the low output?  

thanks.

3/10/2005 2:45 AM
Enzo
email

I'll bet my lunch money it is a bad trem opto. I think the part is an LT9912 or some such.  

Short the legs together on it, and if the sound comes out gangbusters, then I am right.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

3/10/2005 3:53 PM
lonzo
Thanks for your assistance.

3/25/2005 2:06 PM
Rick Erickson
email

If it's a Cambridge 30 Reverb I would also look at the supply voltages on the Output device, a TDA2050. The TDA20XX series IC's will go into a protect mode when over-voltaged and either shut down or distort badly and get very thin sounding.  
There is information on the web about replacing the output device with an LM3875TF. I have done this conversion and it works very well. You won't get more output power though, even if you use the higher power device they mention. Seems to be a bit of confusion regarding device specs and actual output.  

RE

Page 1 of 1