ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Epi Galaxy 10 w/KT66?

12/23/2005 4:06 PM
Mike9
email
Epi Galaxy 10 w/KT66?
I got an Epi Galaxy 10 last week - great deal from MF. I put a Mullard 12ax7 and a CBS 6L6GC out of an old Bogen I have and WoW - what an improvement I happened on a pair of NOS KT66's with straight bottles and after reading about these on the net I installed one. An even bigger, fatter sound & boy was I loving it till the amp started to hum loudly so I shut it off. In the morning I turned it on standby and when I applied power the fuse blew. I put the 6L6 back in and a new fuse and it's fine. Does anyone know how these amps are bias'd? Do the KT66's need a bigger power tranny? I'd really love to run this tube in it the tone is killer!!! Any help will be appreciated.

12/24/2005 5:15 AM
Chris/CMW amps
email

Hi Mike  

The KT66s do take more filamentcurrent (1.27A - 1.5A from top of my head) than 6L6s (0.9A).  

If the biasing and screengrid-circuit are ok then I do suspect the PT for having not enough power to feed the KT66-filament.  
If this is the case (be sure to try the KT66 in another amp) then you could install an extra OT giving 6.3Vols at 3A.  

Hope this helps/merry Xmas tweaks,  

Chris

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/24/2005 7:17 AM
Chris/CMW amps
email
oops, did mean PT not OT!
:)  
Chris

12/25/2005 9:51 AM
Dan Theoret
email
Re: Epi Galaxy 10 w/KT66?
I've never heard of a straight bottle KT66,but have heard of and seen old Russian 6l6(sort of) straight bottles relabeled as "KT66" and "made in England" they were not the same as a 6l6gc or a true KT66 and this could possibly have caused your problem.  
This amp is most likely cathode biased and set up for a normal 6l6gc.  
just my 2 cents worth.  
Dan

Page 1 of 1