ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Hot Rod Deluxe "Mod"

11/30/2004 11:04 AM
Al Lang
email
Hot Rod Deluxe "Mod"
Hello, A band mate has a Fender, single 12", Hot rod Deluxe, it's new. The problem is it's too loud for laid back giging. I was thinking of changing the 6L6s to 6V6s to get less Volume and earlier breakup. Does this mod sound worth the time...? Do I have to lower the B+ trail along with biasing the 6V6's, anything else? What B+ am I looking for at the first filter stage? Al

11/30/2004 6:35 PM
Don Symes
email

The HRDeluxe shows a B+ of 430V, compared to the AB763 BFDeluxe's 410V. With a high-quality pair of tubes, I think you'll (probably) be OK - gotta rebias, though.  

Crank the bias pot all the way negative before you power up with the 6V6s, and gradually raise the voltage 'til you get where you want - and a 1-Ohm Rk is right there (R166) for the pair.  

Hope I'm not wrong.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/2/2004 2:13 AM
Steve L.
email

ahhhh...  
I'd be really hesitant to put 6v6's on that much B+. Even that 410v rating is well out of the suggested range. Blackfaces run hot notoriously, and some tubes just don't work with that much overage. Putting even more strain on the tubes just sounds like asking for trouble.

12/2/2004 11:51 AM
Al Lang
email

What method should I use to lower the B+ to around 390v? Al

12/13/2004 12:57 PM
PAULH
This amp doesn't have a center tap so the zener method won't work. What I would do is put a resistor value of maybe 47 to 150 ohms in series with R66.you will be able to still ajust the bias by reading across just the 1 ohm R66. This will reduce the effective plate voltage the output tubes see. Also the Electro Harmonix 6v6 don't seem to mind high plate voltage as much.

12/13/2004 3:50 PM
Bruce /Mission Amps
email

quote:
"This amp doesn't have a center tap so the zener method won't work."
Doesn't matter... you just use the zener in the grounded lead of the FWB.  
Or you can split the B+ lead that goes to the center tap of the OT and use the zener there.  
As long as the diode's cathode is always pointing back to ground through the FWB, it will drop it's rated voltage.  
Or don't do anything and use JJ6V6s which I have run at 22-24ma and 460vdc for hours and hours and hours!!  

Bruce

12/13/2004 5:50 PM
PAULH
My bad. Have not tried the JJ6V6's yet. I guess you like them Bruce? I've been using EH's with good results, but in older amps I've had to mod them somewhat to have them run the EH's cool enough.  
Gonna have to order a matched quad tommorrow and check them out.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>