Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Ampeg flip top electrolytics

5/1/2006 11:58 AM
Ampeg flip top electrolytics
Anyone know of a source for suitable electrolytics for the Ampeg Portaflex amps?They have the multisection tubular electrolytics in 40X40X450 and 20X20X450.  
CED has some but they are only 160VDC and not the correct value.  
5/1/2006 12:27 PM
Try AE:  
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.
5/1/2006 1:09 PM
Mark Lavelle
email has a decent selection of JJ can caps, including 50x50x500 and 32x32x500, which should be OK as substitutes. You can call or email Bob to check the sizes...
5/1/2006 1:37 PM

Thanks guys but tubes and more is CED and they don't have the correct ones but the right type.The JJ cans are the wrong type.  
The Ampeg Fliptops have the long tubular type caps like the old gibsons had .Two hot wires from one end and the ground from the other.I'd double up standard electrolytics but it's cramped for space and then I'd have to fabricate some kind of bracket to mount them.  
Here's a pic:
5/1/2006 6:42 PM
John Martin
I use the F&T axial caps for those. They are small enough to fit side by side in that space. Get some plastic ty-wraps with the screw holes on the ends to fasten them in place using the original screw holes. I also wrap the caps under the tube sockets with fish paper or insulating cambric to prevent accidental punctures. When the amp is upright the caps will lean towards bottom anyway. I have done this quite a few times with no reported problems.  
5/1/2006 8:25 PM

Thanks John.I have some of the F & T's in stock and imagine that's what I'll end up doing.
5/1/2006 8:43 PM

Remember they are just filter caps, so you can mount them anywhere. They don't need to be where the old ones were. Leo Fender stuck all of his in a box on the outside of the chassis for years. Since modern axial lead caps are so much smaller than they were in the old days, they can often be mounted on the parts boards, but nothing says you can't mount a couple terminal strips somewhere at the end of the chassis for new caps, and run wires back to the circuits.
   Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>