ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

YBA-1 fizzy sound as notes decay

3/31/2006 10:09 PM
methodofcontrol YBA-1 fizzy sound as notes decay
it's like a static-y sound as the note or chord is trailing off. i thnk it's more prevelant on low frequecy spectrum. i playing guitar, not bass through the amp. i don't have an occiloscope, but i'm pretty handy w/ my multi meter. any suggestions for me?  
a friend of mine owns an occiloscope. i may be able to use it if you guys think that it's my best bet for findint the problem. thanks!

3/31/2006 10:28 PM
Enzo
email

First connect it to a different speaker. Light voice coil rub is more noticable on lower level output, which is what a fading note really is. And it is more noticable on lower notes as well.  

If it is the amp and not the speaker, explore the filter caps.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/2/2006 4:28 PM
Steve Dallman
email

I've seen this in two amps recently. In a Blues Deville I worked on, the baffle, and all 4 speakers were loose, but the main problem was voice coil rub, quite minor but audible. In 3 of the 4 speakers I could push the magnet slightly in the right direction and eliminate it.  

The other was a recently re-capped Princeton. Despite use of Sprague/Atoms and other reputable caps, the bias filter cap was bad. Replaced it and all was well.  

If the buzz seems to follow the tone you're playing in a slightly ring-modulated way, suspect the bias cap.  

Without looking at the schematic, if the amp's cathode biased, forget the bias cap idea.

4/25/2006 6:18 PM
mehodofcontrol
ok, so i havent put the traynor up on the bench in while...but here's what happened just now:  
when i first turned the amp on, the tubes lit but the power light did not. i grabbed my guitar and sarted getting ready to play and i noticed the power light came on all of the sudden w/out me doing anything.  
i turned the amp off standby and began strumming some chords w/ both soft attack and hard attack, and i didn't hear any noise at all that didn't belong. i haven't turned the amp on in two months. (maybe sitting for while cured the problem?)i had the volume up pretty high and i was playing for a few minutes and then a terrible crackle type noise happened when i used an aggressive attack on the strings. when i didn't play there was no noise. wheni played,the crackle noise happened just as loud as the chord i was playing. but after a minute of me trying to figure out the cause, it simply stopped and everything sounded clean again. so kept playing for a minute and it came back. when it came back i tried sweeping all of the EQ knobs from 0-10, but it had no effect on the crackle. i also tried plugging the guitar into each different input and swept the volume knobs from 0-10. w/ the volume very low the crackle seems to disapear, but that's very low on the dial.  
what do you guys think?

4/26/2006 2:00 PM
MKB
email

I've had something this happen before, it ended up being loose pins in the power tube sockets. I retensioned those sockets and the problem went away. You might also try looking for cold solder joints or even a broken wire if the amp is wired with solid core wire.  

The power light problem could be due to another loose connection, loose socket, or sometimes neon bulbs are finicky and act that way (that is if it's a neon bulb).

4/26/2006 6:53 PM
Chuck
email

I'm with MKB. I would clean and retention the ALL the tube sockets and recheck. If the problem persists it may be a cold solder joint. The power lamp may or may not be a related issue. I've seen ALOT of that sort of thing. More than one symptom...unrelated...!?!

4/26/2006 7:47 PM
germ
email

not to hijack the thread, but your handle here, is that the name of a band? just curious, cuz i knew a guy who was invloved with the website of that band.  

germ

Page 1 of 1