ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Power xfmr around 300vdc when rectified?

1/10/2006 10:52 AM
dpcoyle
email
Power xfmr around 300vdc when rectified?
I wanna run some EL84's at about 300v and have at least 90ma for them, and 10 ma for the udder stuff.  
Hammond is too much voltage and no copper strap, Allen is too high a voltage, Fender's (Blues Jr?) pp el84 pst is only 68 ma.(Any comments on this xfmr?)  
Has any one any hint at where I might find the above 300v, 100ma beast?  
Thanks  
Dan

1/10/2006 6:07 PM
Enzo
email

So you are going for about 30 watts? PT from commercial amps of similar size ought to work. PV Classic 30 comes to mind (320v), or the Crate ones.

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/10/2006 7:15 PM
ukiahb
if you don't mind running two xfmrs (assuming you are not using a tube rectifier) 230V 100ma xfrmrs are only $15, or 190mA for $20, and will bridge rectify to about 320V. A seperate filament xfmr is also cheap...  
see http://www.mouser.com/catalog/624/1448.pdf

1/12/2006 12:49 PM
dpcoyle
email

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your time.  
Dan

1/20/2006 8:57 AM
dpcoyle
email
Re: Power xfmr around 300vdc ,Follow up quest
Again, I appreciate both replies.  

The multi-transformer solution isn't practical for this app, but I appreciate the low $ idea.  

My follow up question is: where can I buy a Peavy Classic 30 power transformer for the least?  

Thanks  

Dan

1/20/2006 6:42 PM
Enzo
email

From Peavey.

1/23/2006 8:35 PM
dpcoyle
email
Re: Thanks, Enzo. NT
thanks,  
Dan