ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Running EL-34'a at lower voltages?

12/28/2005 2:31 PM
paulg
email
Running EL-34'a at lower voltages?
I have a Plexi clone that runs about 450 volt B+. I'm intrigued by the Germino Club 40, bacically a JTM-45 that runs at 415v. Any ideas or experiences for running lower voltages with EL-34's? I'd like to get that plexi compression without all the headroom (join the club, huh?). thanks

12/28/2005 2:44 PM
Dai H.
email

Maybe you'd like a lower voltage PT. Some Marshall 50Ws have low B+, around 395V to as low as around 350V (some have reported). I have an '80 2204 which has the lower B+ (about 395V), and it seems to be smaller but sweeter sounding than the later ones w/higher B+ (430-450V depending on wall voltage, biasing). I think Marstran had a 350V 50W PT (on sale for a couple more days 'til the end of the month IIRC). Otherwise Mercury Magnetics (good quality, higher priced), or a Hammond or something if it doesn't need to be the standard dimensions/mounting, etc. I recall reading some article w/one of the Scorpions guys (Mattias Jabs?), and from what he was describing, it sounded like he liked these lower B+ 50Ws rather than the 100Ws.

Wednesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

12/28/2005 3:07 PM
Chris/CMW amps
email

Hi Paul  

Dai did post some excellent suggestions!  
40 Watts will just be slightly "unlouder" than 50 Watts so if you wanna get that tone at lower levels while using a high quality OT (let's say OEI or MM) than use a so called post pi mv (replacing the biassplitter resistors with a dual ganged pot).  

Hope this helps,  

Chris

12/28/2005 7:08 PM
Billy R
email

Paul: I just finished a custom amp for a customer and it uses EL34's that run at 395 volts (with a 5AR4 rectifier). It is a fixed bias amp, and uses the Weber W025130 power transformer, and a 35 watt, 3500 ohm OT. The clean output is 28 watts, and it sounds great. Still a loud amp, but not so loud that you can not turn it up.

12/29/2005 7:22 AM
paulg
email

Great advice. I'm hoping to get that great EL-34 tone without the huge volume. Presently, I can't get output tube breakup until the amp is about half way up. I guess I will have to reconsider the OT , a MM 50wt Plexi, too.

12/29/2005 8:00 AM
Ian Anderson
email

I used to own a '76 Marshall 2x12 (non MV), it had around 350v to 375v on the plates and broke up fairly easy.  

I could crank that thing full up & balance out with the natural volume of the drums. It had that Highway To Hell AC/DC tone :D  

... Ian

12/29/2005 8:44 AM
satamax
email

Hi everybody!  

Paulg, a daft idea which wouldn't cost too much would be to buy a variac, and use that to lower your B+ to see if you like it before wiring another trany in!  

Bye.  

Max.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>