ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Amps that run on 12 volts.

11/22/2005 9:06 PM
Boy Howdy Amps that run on 12 volts.
Looks like I'm gonna be living in a truck (18 wheeler) soon.  

I love my acoustic, but I'd really miss playing electric. Anybody have any suggestions for a decent sounding amp that will run off the ciggy lighter?  

I know about the zvex, but I'm thinking I would probably want something with a good clean sound too. Tone is a must though, no Pignose, etc.  

Hmm, does the zvex do good clean?

11/23/2005 4:58 AM
Steve Dallman
email

My favorite "12v" amp has been a Peavy Decade. I still see them used at pawn shops for cheap.  

This amp has clean and distortion inputs, but plug into one of the two inputs, and take a push on/push off footswitch with a 1/4" plug, put it into the other input to the first click only, and the footswitch will control clean to distortion.  

Used, these things go for less than $50. They have 3 band EQ, gain and volume, and the originals have a beefy 8" speaker...much better than the practice amps of today.

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

11/23/2005 6:54 AM
Wild Bill
email

Dunno about where you guys live but here in Canada the hardware/box/whatever stores all seem to be offering 12 volt inverters.  

Different wattage ranges, topping out at something like 600 watts continuous for maybe $100. I've seen 'em cheaper in discount stores.  

Should be more than enough for a Champ, at least!  

---Wild Bill

11/23/2005 11:08 AM
coledavis
email

I second the inverter recommendation. A buddy of mine uses one with an LCD projector and cheapo home theater for portable movie projecting. Works but you have to leave the car running, otherwise it kills the batteries real quick.

11/23/2005 9:32 AM
Dutch
email

Boy Howdy--  
Just a thought.... You *could* build a tube amp if you can find some old '50s car radio schematics and see what they did to get a tube radio working.  

HTH!  

C ya,  
Dutch

11/23/2005 10:34 AM
Todd Hepler All you need is a vibrator
No! not that kind of vibrator - shame on you for even considering that.  

http://www.gbronline.com/radioguy/vpwrsup.htm  

-Todd

11/23/2005 11:47 AM
Boy Howdy
Hmm, I think my girlfriend is the one who's gonna be needin' the vibrator.  

Can anyone recommend any good rubber women? Sigh...

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>