ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

How do you check for voltage on the chassis?

9/29/2005 9:22 AM
Ricky How do you check for voltage on the chassis?
I suspect that some voltage may be getting on the chassis somehow. How does one check for it?

9/29/2005 11:20 AM
Dai Hirokawa
email

meter on AC, touch one probe to chassis, hold the other one. If there is a big AC voltage like 60 or 100VAC or whatever, and you are touching that chassis directly or via a gtr. cord, then you touch something else metal like a mic which is 0VAC or much lower you'll get shocked. Least that's how I understand it.

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

9/29/2005 12:07 PM
Ricky Yikes, I have voltage...what now?
Ok, Checked it using the AC meter method. I have 15-25 volts there. This has got to be te source of noise.(hummmmm - midrangy)I assume it should be zero? I guess I should dissconnect legs of the star gounds one at a time to see what point is putting off the voltage?

9/29/2005 2:10 PM
loudthud
email
Back to square one
What country are you in and how many wires in your line cord ?  

There will always be some voltage on the chassis if it is not connected to anything due to small leakage currents in the power transformer. This is what the death cap is supposed to eliminate in the US. When the death cap was connected to the hot side of the line, it put full line voltage there and you were supposed to reverse the (then 2 wire) line plug or switch the ground switch to the other position. The three wire line cord eliminates this by conducting those leakage currents to ground thus making the voltage zero volts or pretty close.

9/29/2005 4:01 PM
Ricky
US- 3 line power cord. My ground is not connected however(at the wall - old outlet)

9/29/2005 1:36 PM
Paul Drexhage Re: How do you check for voltage on the chassis?
I suppose you could lift the chassis from ground (if it is grounded via a three prong cord), and place an ammeter in series with the chassis and true earth ground. If you're drawing a significant amount of current, you probably have a problem somewhere. I believe this is the method used for UL certification.

9/29/2005 3:17 PM
Dai Hirokawa
email

I'm not sure that a bit of AC volts necessarily spells trouble. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to chase noise down or?

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>