ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Modify a Reverb Pan??

9/12/2005 12:07 AM
Dan
email
Modify a Reverb Pan??
I want to change a pan from Long to Medium Delay.  

What does Accutronics do to the reverb pan to make it a Medium Delay as opposed to a long Delay.  
I have a 2 and a 3 spring 4AB3C1B and 9AB3C1B respectively. They are both Long delay. I want a shorter delay. I tried removing one spring from the 3 spring and there was not much difference in the Delay. It did reduce the diffusion but that's it. I don't think Accutronics changes the transformers. I do think it's some kind of physical component. Any ideas???

9/12/2005 2:58 AM
Mark Lavelle
email

My *guess* is that you increase the tension...

9/12/2005 6:44 AM
Chuck
email

I've had some success with damping the springs lightly close to the transformers. But in continued experimentation I ended up ruining that tank. The parts are quite sensative. I was trying to create a variable "dwell" control. Coming from a guy who has "tried" to modify a tank...If I had to do it again, I'd buy another tank.  

Chuck

9/12/2005 10:40 AM
Carl Gigun
I've seen old pans that had pieces of foam or felt taped where they could lightly touch the spring. I assume it was done to reduce the delay time, could be worth a try. I imagine the placement along the spring would affect the tone similar to the way picking or damping at different spots on the guitar does, so you might try placing it in different spots. I haven't experimented with this myself, let us know if you try it out.  

-Carl

9/12/2005 4:15 PM
Wild Bill
email

I always thought that delay came from the length of the springs, rather than the number.  

After all, the delay is a product of how long it takes the vibration to travel from one spring transducer to the other. Longer springs means it takes a longer time.  

So a short tank has less delay than a long one, no?  

---Wild Bill

9/12/2005 4:52 PM
Chuck
email

I'm not certain what dictates the decay time. But since they make both long and short tanks with different decay times I think it could be a combination of tension and spring temper. A spring at higher tension just won't wobble as long as a looser one. Likewise a softer spring (metal is more ductile) will not wobble as long as a harder spring (more brittle). This is my best guess anyway.  

Chuck

9/12/2005 7:01 PM
steve rathmann
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/rvbtheop.htm  
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/rt60.htm  

It looks like in order to change the delay time you'd need different springs, unless you wanted to mess with cutting them. The delay time is determined by the overall uncoiled length of spring. Each of the springs in a multi-spring reverb are of different lengths to provide slightly different delay times to smooth out the overall effect.  

It looks like they do provide sales of individual" target="_blank">http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/ordering.htm#buyone">individual parts so you might be able to get springs with shorter delay times.

Page 1 of 5 Next> Last Page>>