ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Hammond 270DAX ?

6/5/2005 6:19 PM
Jones Hammond 270DAX ?
Will a hammond 270DAX handle a pair of 5881s if you dont bias them too hot (cathode bias)? This PT is only rated for 90ma at 260v, I am only wanting to get about 25watts out of the pair. I know hammonds are rated conservative...but...tube manual suggests 2 5881s draw 88ma plus 5ma screen. There is only 1 Preamp tube drawing about 3ma, this is mainly a 6v6 amp but want to be able to switch in some 6L6 types.

6/6/2005 8:10 AM
Alexander
email

Hey Jones-  

That 270DAX will handle an SE 5881 but forget two of 'em. I use that tranny for 2 EL84's and it struggles with THAT load ! sounds loose and buttery but would be disaster for 2 -5881's. Stick with the 6V6 loads or upgrade to the 270FX(150ma)or HX (200ma)  

HTH,  
Alexander  
http://www.retrodyne-amps.com

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

6/7/2005 12:02 AM
Josh
Yes, The hammonds are tough, but they are designed for 115v wall volatge. In the US, wall voltage can be really high(128v+). So you are making it run hard right from the get go. Most of the hammond power transformers I have used run hot. Even when pulling lighter loads (110mA from a xformer with 150mA) they get really hot. I have never had one fail, but I like to get the biggest hammond I can fit just so it stays cool.  

Now the output transformers.....those really are indestructable :)

6/24/2005 9:12 PM
Jones
I have just decided to throw that Tandberg radio xfrmr in it. That thing is bulletproof, nazi construction. actually has a swastika on it...it ran 11 preamp and tuning indicator and VU meter tubes and 2 power tubes in a big tape deck. It dont even get warm with a pair of EL34s and a couple 12ax7s.

Page 1 of 1