ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Torres Engineering

5/4/2005 5:20 PM
Stokes
email
Torres Engineering
Anybody order from these guys recently?I have ordered from them in the past and never had a problem,but not this time.I placed an order for a pair of pickups 2 months ago,have sent numerous emails asking about the order but get no response.Am going to cancel the payment on my credit card,but unfortunately the damage is already done.I just lost a customer who was quite irate that he was waiting 2 mos. for a pair of pickups to be installed.Anyway I was just wondering if anybody knows if these guys went south or something since they dont respond to my inquiries,and to give you guys a heads up if you were thinking of ordering from them.

5/4/2005 7:01 PM
Chuck
I don't know that they've gone south. Unless they've picked a vacation destination in that direction...Yuk Yuk  

Seriously, I know that Joe/ Joel/ Joey (can't remember what Dan called him that day at the shop) Is the owner for about 15 mos. now. Dan remains on a technical support and consulting basis only. So you are dealing with new management. That in itself is probably not the problem. I met the new owner about 3 months after he took over. He seemed to have things well under control and he had alot of that "I'm really excited about what I do" vibe. However, I also know that Dan has recently been through a surgery that required quite alot of home recovery. Many of his supporters (fans?) wrote him encouraging letters.  

So it could just be a matter of bad timing. The new owner is probably having to deal with alot of things he thought he would have help with. Dans family was very involved in the shop and they are likely at home with Dan.  

No reason this should effect any contracts made between two consenting business owners though. It's bad news to me that this happened to you. I hope it doesn't mean that things arent going well for Dan after his surgery. I kinda like the old grouch.  

Anyway, I'll remain hopeful but also watchful.  

Chuck

Tuesday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

5/4/2005 8:17 PM
Don Symes
email

Anyone in or near Mountain View, CA and in a position to drop by the place?

5/4/2005 8:35 PM
Mark Lavelle
email

Actually, they're in San Mateo & I happen to live about 5 miles from the shop. I haven't been there in 6 months or so, but I can verify the "new management" part.  

If I'm up that way any time soon I'll stop in, but my advice to Stokes is to pick up the phone. IME, talking always trumps emailing...

5/4/2005 10:19 PM
Chuck
Yeh, He's in San Mateo like Mark said. I'm in San Jose so I don't get up there that often. But I'll be working up that way on Friday (Menlo park). I usually work late but if I can I'll stop in and see how it's going around there. Otherwise it's up to Mark to give a report. As I recall from my last visit the shop actually looked a little neater and more organized than when Dan owned it.  

Chuck

5/7/2005 1:38 PM
Mark Lavelle
email

quote:
"Otherwise it's up to Mark to give a report. As I recall from my last visit the shop actually looked a little neater and more organized than when Dan owned it."
Stopped in this morning. Predictably slow for 10am on a Saturday, but I have to agree that the place is a bit cleaned up. Could be my imagination (or just the increase in neatness), but it looked like they're stocking even more parts than they used to, also...

5/7/2005 8:29 PM
Chuck
Thats...news. Good or bad is hard to tell. If the shop is tidy thats a good sign. It's still there. Thats a good sign. Slow is kinda bad though I guess. But it was 10:00am as you said.  

I would not expect Dan to be there on a weekend, but I wonder if he's back at work in the shop yet? I'll call on Monday if my curiosity gets to me.  

I could not make it in Friday. I was working until well past shop hours.  

Thanks for covering for me :).  

Chuck

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>