ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

hum in ac-30 build

4/7/2005 10:16 AM
mod
email
hum in ac-30 build
ok, i have just rebuilt my 1st build an ac-30 built off a hoffman board kit, it's got 2 chanels "normal" and "top boost" it sounds friggin awesome, except i am getting a bit of hum on both channels, the hum increases as you turn the volume up, when you play you can't notice it, but it's something that i would like to fix, it would seem the hum is being induced b4 the vol controls, now i have checked and quadruple checked the wiring and everything seems cool, i'm using switchcraft style jacks(tied to the ground buss), and i also have a seperate chassis ground, could there be a ground loop here? what's the best way to check? also do you guys use marshall style jacks and isolate from the chassis?

4/7/2005 11:27 AM
loudthud
email

Hum can enter the signal path at many points. Does the hum go away completely when the volume controls are at minimum ?  

Do you have an elevated heater supply ? That's where the center tap of the heater winding is connected to a positive voltage of 10V to 50V or so.  

Try this: Disconnect the grid of the first tube from the input jack right at the tube and connect it directly to the ground of it's cathode resistor. That should kill any hum coming from the input jack's ground.

Saturday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

4/7/2005 11:54 AM
mod
email

"Hum can enter the signal path at many points. Does the hum go away completely when the volume controls are at minimum ? "  

no, there is always some hum  

"Do you have an elevated heater supply ? That's where the center tap of the heater winding is connected to a positive voltage of 10V to 50V or so."  

yes, i beleieve so, have to recheck when i get home though, 98% sure yes.  

"Try this: Disconnect the grid of the first tube from the input jack right at the tube and connect it directly to the ground of it's cathode resistor. That should kill any hum coming from the input jack's ground."  

i will try this friday night, tonight i will be going to see melvin sparks, thanks for your help!!!

4/12/2005 2:00 PM
Paulg
email

The best advice I can share re-AC-30's is: Keep the grid wires to the EL84's short. I had terrible noise and oscillation problems until I re-located the board and put the resistor right on the tube socket. good luck!

4/12/2005 11:08 PM
anonymous
keep output tubes grid wires short. Place grids resistors directly on tube sockets. Use dc heater supply for preamp tubes. And the most important thing...use a galactic ground. Sort of a star gorund, but with distributed capacitance.

Page 1 of 1