ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

location for relay transformer? (help)...

2/25/2005 4:31 PM
Ian Anderson
email
location for relay transformer? (help)...
I've got a small transformer with two 12v taps to run the relays in a Dual Recto homebrew I'm planning. Are there any layout issues I should be aware of with this transformer or can I mount it anywhere that is convenient?  

Cheers... Ian :)

2/25/2005 4:44 PM
Steve A.
email

Ian:  

Keep the leads long and try moving it around to see if some locations and orientations are noisier than others.  

IMO if you play guitar sitting down next to your amp you might get some noises that wouldn't get if you are standing up 10 feet away playing to a crowd of thousands of cheering fans... I think that in many cases the guitar is picking up RF hash from one of the transformers.  

Steve Ahola

Thursday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

2/26/2005 6:47 AM
Ian Anderson
email

Cheers Steve, I don't know about a thousand fans though ;) :D  

Any ideas on cutting down the relay switch popping? (the best idea I've come up with is to use the mute circuit that the 5150 uses)  

... Ian

2/26/2005 9:20 AM
Gary (aka Glasman)
email

The one thing (and you may be doing this) is to make sure that each relay has a back biased diode located at the relay and across the coil and a .01uf (or so) cap across the diode. This should eliminate any noise caused by the relay coil field collapsing when the relay is disengaged.  

Gary

2/26/2005 9:59 AM
Gary (aka Glasman)
email

Here is a schematic of the diode and cap.  

http://www.glaswerks.com/schematics/sodfootswitch.jpg  

Gary

3/4/2005 7:12 AM
rooster
I second the back biased diode. I also use the 10M resistor to ground on relays that have one side capacitively coupled (no dc path to ground). My amps are completely relay driven with no noise at all, and they are using little SPST reed relays from mouser at about $0.80 apiece (7 per amp, with 2 DPDTs for the activation circuit).  

rooster.

2/26/2005 10:49 AM
Bob Ingram
email

Wanta save yourself a ton of headache, get the Weber 6V relay board. It runs from the heaters.  

It's $8 and includes all the components on a small PCB. I've used it 3 times in channel switching amp and it works great. Make sure that you use the Normally Open side for the distortion channel to minimize SS noise.  

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/store/hpsw.jpg

Page 1 of 3 Next> Last Page>>