ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Mullard 6L6 Heathkit IP-17

1/18/2005 7:48 PM
jimbo
email
Mullard 6L6 Heathkit IP-17
Hey there. I just started a job in a college physics lab. This place hasn't changed in 30 years....My first duty was to test the output voltage of these old Heathkit power supply units..They have 30 of them...Imagine my surprise when I opened it up and saw a pair IEC, made in Great Britain, Mullard 6l6GC's?  
Is anyone else familiar with these things? Are they Amplifiers? 'cause I hate the thought of 19yr olds "playing" with them....I think I will make it my duty to supervise and protect them.....I will pay extra carefull "supervision" to any of the young ladies using these units........Tough job huh?????

1/18/2005 9:15 PM
Marc
email

Jimbo;  
Time to change out the tubes! put some sovtek 6l6's in there and save the Brits!  

Marc

Friday
Book Of The Day The Ultimate Tone, Volume III by Kevin O'Connor
Have you ever wondered if there is a better way to build a Bassman, Champ, Plexi, an 800, AC-30, Bulldog or Portaflex? Or you wanted to build an SVT with off-the-shelf parts? How about a master-volume amp that doesn’t change tone with the master setting? Everything you need to know is right here, including: proper grounding techniques, wiring methods, and mechanical considerations. Eighteen chapters cover the “iconic” amps everyone knows and loves, with schematics and layouts for each, along with the technical history of the product. Eyelet-board and chassis-mounted tube socket construction is used throughout, for easy servicing and modding. TUT3 is very accessible even if you cannot fully read a schematic and is a "must have" if you are going to build an amp for your self.

Note: The Ampage Archive is an Amazon Associate site. A small commission is paid to the site owner on any qualified purchase made after clicking an associate link such as the one above.

1/18/2005 9:16 PM
jeremy
email

yeah i have a power supply similar. it goes to DC 400v @ 150ma and 6A at 6.3v AC? rip them tubes out of there!! put in some 5881 or sumtin. cant let nimrod students even breathe on those tubes....  

:D  
jeremy

1/19/2005 1:08 PM
Dr. Photon
email

Those are regulated high voltage power supplies. The 6l6's are used as a series-pass device. They also have a -100 volt adjustable B- supply at diddly squat current and 6.3 v at a few amps. I went to a "Physics day" thing and they used one to power up a CRT-demonstation thing. Then I proceeded to boast that I had a more powerful 150ma (300 surge) 0-450 volt transistorized unit (w/ built in variac, and regulated bias, and 0-40 volt current limited transistor supply, also "featuring" 70's "styling").

Page 1 of 1